Monday 30 March 2015

Our cupcakes using Betty Crocker Carrot Cake Mix


After sampling the delicious carrot cake at Costa, I remembered that I had a box of Betty Crocker Super Moist Carrot Cake Mix from my hamper of American goodies. This is the version "with pudding in the mix" (whatever that means !) that is, as far as I can tell, not the same one that we usually get in European supermarkets. Inside the box, you just get one big bag of cake mix.


You need to add 2/3 of a cup of oil (I used the healthy rice bran oil from a recent Degustabox) and 3 eggs.


Pierre cracked the eggs, poured in the oil and got stirring. It all blends together easily and doesn't create lumps.


I decided to make individual cupcakes rather than one big cake so we divided the mixture into 16 cupcake cases. If you look closely, you can see little round orange dots. I was dismayed to see that, once again, after our Jiffy Blueberry Muffins Mix, this cake mix uses "imitation carrot pieces" rather than real carrot. What is it with American cake mixes and their artificial fruit/vegetable pieces ?!


After 15 minutes in the oven, they were ready. 


They are extremely soft and light but a little bland - they taste of cinnamon but not a lot else. I could have frosted them but decided against it, so that might have helped them out. They're still quite reasonable - I've been eating them and Sophie and Madhouse Daddy like them, but Pierre and Juliette aren't keen.

4 comments:

  1. Pam Francis Gregory30 March 2015 at 18:12

    Look fantastic & so light!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Pierre! Such a shame that the mix doesn't have real carrot though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps vanilla essence could be added to give it a better flavour or mixed spice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks yummy, carrot cake is my favourite

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...