Thursday 19 March 2015

Globe-cooking recipe : Brownie Cookies (USA)


After a totally boring (but highly productive) afternoon marking and filling in school reports, I decided to head into the kitchen and bake something scrumptious before starting on dinner. So what should I make? Cookies ? Brownies? I had a lightbulb moment and remembered a recipe for some delicious-sounding Brownie Cookies that I'd favourited on a fabulous blog that I've only started following recently, The Pioneer Woman. I highly recommend you head over to see the original recipe and check out some of her other cowboy classics while you're over there ! I've tweaked the recipe a bit and converted it from American to metric measurements to make it easier.

 Brownie Cookies

ingredients :

55g chocolate (milk or dark, cooking chocolate would do fine)
225g margarine or butter
450g sugar
3 eggs
1tsp vanilla extract
325g plain flour
1tbsp baking powder
75g cocoa powder
1/2tsp salt

Preheat oven to 180°C.


Melt the chocolate in the microwave. I had a bar of chocolate with puffed rice in it to use up, which worked just fine, although I had to be careful it didn't burn as I was melting it.


While the chocolate is cooling,cream together the margarine and sugar. (Butter would give it a richer flavour but margarine is so much easier to cream by hand, especially for mini bakers !)


Tip in the cooled but still melted chocolate and mix.


Whisk in the eggs one at a time.


Add the vanilla essence.


Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder in a bowl and add to the mix in stages.


Looking like pretty good brownie batter to me - I could almost dive in there with a spoon !


Dollop generous tablespoonfuls on a greased baking sheet. (I had enough for three batches.) Pierre giggled and said they looked like piles of dog poo !


Bake in the oven for 11 minutes - do not overcook or you won't get that lovely squidgy brownie texture. The outside is slightly crunchy but the inside is superbly gooey and soft. Leave to cool on a wire rack completely or they will stick together.


My intial thought was to reduce the quantities by half because it sounded like a lot of sugar and butter, but don't bother - they will disappear so fast that you'll just have to make more if you reduce the quantities. I think these are the most delicious homemade cookies I have ever made, especially still warm from the oven. The kids have already asked me if I can make some more when they've all gone !

*** Don't miss my country-by-country globecooking recipe index ! *** 


Casa Costello


11 comments:

  1. Sound very good! Especially still warm!

    Ashleigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pierre is a great chef! Love the idea of a brownie cookie, I bet they would disappear fast here as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sound so good - and a very positive review. Would like to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so good!! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. Going to make these next time my grandson Callum comes to visit

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cheryl! I do hope you'll swing by to Food on Friday to bring this to the Chocolate party! Cheers from Carole from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh these look so good - I'm a massive fan of the Pioneer Woman too - I dream of having a kitchen like hers one day! Thanks for joining in with #FoodieFriday x

    ReplyDelete
  8. very nice and easy to make too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooohhh totally have to make these!! They do look delish!! Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...