Thursday 24 July 2014

#readcookeat challenge : Reuben sandwich (inspired by Geek Girl)


When I was reading Geek Girl (Picture Perfect) (click through to read my review), I didn't really spot any mentions of food, but I was struck by the setting of New York, which I decided must be teeming with gastronomical delights to discover. Many of them have become standard fare on this side of the Atlantic now too (bagels, cheesecake, pizza …) but I did come across a mention for Reuben sandwich which intrigued me because I'd never heard of it. Well, guess what we had for a quick tea last night when we got home from the beach ?!



Reuben sandwich


2 slices rye bread
corned beef
sauerkraut
Swiss cheese
Russian dressing


Toast the bread on one side and remove from the grill. Putting the first slice toasted side down, top with sauerkraut (I substituted this for sliced tomatoes), corned beef and Swiss cheese, then drizzle with Russian dressing (I left this out as I didn't know what it was and the tomatoes made it juicy enough). Put the second slice of bread on top, grilled side down, Put back under the grill until the top of the bread is golden brown and the cheese has melted.

I wasn't sure about this combination of ingredients but it was actually really nice (and used up a tin of corned beef that had been lurking in the back of the cupboard for ages !).



Fancy "cooking the books"? Head on over to the #readcookeat challenge at Chez Maximka and Cooking Around The World

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

3 comments:

  1. I had a Reuben sandwich when we lived in the States, and really enjoyed it. Sauerkraut works very well with the beef, you should try it one day. But I think tomatoes would be a tasty alternative too. Thank you for joining in our #ReadCookEat challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like sauerkraut - although I'd never thought of putting it in a sandwich !

      Delete
  2. ooh never heard of this either but it looks lovely

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...