Thursday 26 March 2015

Globecooking recipe : Choucroute (France)


Choucroute, or sauerkraut as it's called in Germany, is a dish that has variations in so many countries (to name just a few, Poland, Holland, Russia, Bulgaria, even China, the USA and Chili) that I wasn't sure which country to label it under. However, as the version that I first tried (and have recreated here) is the French one from the Alsace region, I've labelled it as French. 


This is more an assembly job than an actual from-scratch recipe. Peel some potatoes and put them on to boil. Prepared some smoked meats - I used Toulouse sausage and lard fumé (thick cured bacon).


You could make your own pickled cabbage but it needs a month of fermenting with salt, pepper and juniper berries so I went for the easy option and picked up a jar of Polish sauerkraut in the supermarket ! It was a bit more vinegary than I would have liked so with the saltiness of the cured leats, I almost felt like I was eating a bag of chips smothered in salt and vinegar !

To serve, fill your plate with reheated cabbage, dot a few potatoes around the edges and pile meat on top.

*** Don't miss my country-by-country globecooking recipe index ! *** 

4 comments:

  1. Fabulous - going to try this one - my son's favourite recipe is tartiflette he was taught how to make it on his year abroad in France.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another yummy looking meal, I'd love to come round to yours for dinner. I really think you should write a cooking book, you have so many good ideas. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL ! You're welcome to come over for dinner any time you like - but my food is not cookbook worthy !!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...