Friday 22 June 2012

Jo's Fab Fruity Lemon Drizzle Cake recipe

Jo's original version 

 Part of my morning ritual is sitting down at the computer for ten minutes before rushing off to get ready for the work/school run and checking my new emails that have come in overnight. As well as numerous blog comments and genuine emails, I get to catch up on the daily digests of the various blogs I'm subscribed to. I know I could use a blogreader but I like the fact that I can keep any new blogposts that really catch my eye for easy reference. That's what happened last week when Jo posted a cake recipe that made me go hmmmmmm over on her Given To Distracting Others blog. She called hers Lemon & Blueberry Cake but here at The Madhouse, it's been rebaptised Jo's Fab Fruity Lemon Drizzle Cake and has been adopted as the new family favourite, ousting my banana bread recipe as top pick when we want to make a cake from scratch !

Jo says that she put her own personal stamp on a BBC Good Food recipe, and I admit that I've tweaked her recipe to fit what we had in the cupboard and fridge, so it's turning into a bit of a Chinese Whispers cake. Maybe we should turn this into a meme and see who can make the next tweak ?!!

I'll give you the recipe that we used but make sure you head over to Jo's blog to see the original version too.

The Madhouse Version of Jo's Fab Fruity Lemon Drizzle Cake 

175g softened butter, plus extra for greasing
1 pot of yogurt (I used up a prune flavoured yogurt that had been hanging about in the fridge because nobody likes that flavour !)
2 heaped tablespoons lemon curd
3 free range eggs
a good squirt of lemon juice 
1 tablespoon Steenbergs lemon essence (because I had it in the cupboard, but you could just add extra lemon juice and zest)
200g self-raising flour
175g golden caster sugar
200g of fresh fruit (we used cherries and peaches that were getting over ripe in the fruit bowl)
140g icing sugar


Cream together the butter and sugar. Mix in the eggs, lemon curd and yogurt and gradually blend in the flour.


This is a great recipe for using up soft fruit that is on its time - we had cherries and peaches from the farmers' market going mouldy quicker than we could eat them so that's what we used, but I'll be using different fruit each time, depending on what is over-ripe in the fruit bowl.


You put in half of the cake mix, top with half of the fruit ...


Then add the other half of the cake mix and the rest of the fruit.


After an hour and a quarter in the oven  at 160°C, it should be ready. Check that a sharp knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.


All my fruit sank to the bottom which is a bit of a shame, but it still tasted lovely.


Mix the icing sugar with enough lemon juice to make a lovely smooth lemon-flavoured icing and drizzle this all over the cake. You may notice that half of the cake disappeared before I even had time to go and grab the camera ! Sophie even took a piece in to school for her teacher, who said it was "absolutely gorgeous" ! 

It's lovely slightly warm from the oven but keeps really well for a few days too. It stays really moist, but it won't hang about for long, I can assure you !

OK, who wants to have a go next ?!

Other blogposts you may be interested in :



12 comments:

  1. Looks like a lush cake! I bet it tastes fab too. Which reminds me I should do some baking this week. Haven't baked any lemon drizzle cakes for ages. Now I really want a slice of your cake. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, it's all gone !! LOL I'll be making an orange cake next week with Provamel orange & redbush yogurt which I have high hopes for too - watch this space ...

      Delete
  2. I ate all my yogurt without adding to baking, it is lovely, very ornangey in flavour. I actually need to think of some recipes that are dairy-free, and thought of cooking with Provamel. Would love to know how your baking goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so did I, but they sent me some more with the other ingredients to make a cake. Hopefully on Wednesday afternoon :)

      Delete
  3. Aww thanks for the shout and link, I am the same I trawl blogs drooling over recipes every day! I have tweaked it again, raspberry and lemon is fave at the moment and orange curd and cherry too, I really recommend the Greek yogurt its a real creamy version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm raspberry and lemon sounds lovely. OK, I'll definitely try it with Greek yogurt too but the beauty of the recipe is, it's all stuff that is in the fridge/cupboards at any time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this cake today and it was one of the best cakes I have tasted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh think I might have to make another one at the weekend ! :)

      Delete
  6. Just discovered this tasty looking recipe! I love baking with my 2 girls and am always looking for new and delicious cakes and biscuits to bake with them! I think we will definitely have to try this! Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just made another one this afternoon - still as totally moreish as I remember !

      Delete
  7. thats sounds Yummy, thanks for linking up xxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...