Tuesday 15 September 2015

#readcookeat recipe : Moroccan Chicken with Apricots & Almonds (Hippy Dinners)


A couple of weeks ago, I read Hippy Dinners by Abbie Ross - click through to read my review. Despite the title (which actually refers to a childhood friend's nickname rather than anything foodie), there aren't that many recipe suggestions for the #readcookeat challenge. Galina recreated an outstanding lemon drizzle cake over at Chez Maximka and I also picked up on a few mentions of homemade "hummus and brown bread", seventies staples Angel Delight and Findus Crispy Pancakes, trifle, cauliflower cheese, flatbreads and dahl, as well as (a close contender for my #readcookeat choice) "a great big chocolate cake covered in chocolate buttons".

The one that made me think "hmmm that sounds like something I might like to cook" though was on p173 : "The table was full with the remains of their meal : a Moroccan tagine, and an almost empty bowl of rice and a few leaves left of the salad."

I had a rummage through my kitchen cupboards and came up with this version of a Moroccan tagine.


Moroccan Chicken with Apricots & Almonds 


ingredients :

2tbsp olive oil
4 chicken breasts 
2 onions
1/2 red pepper
1/2 green pepper
200g dried apricots
100g almonds
a tin of chickpeas
a tin of chopped tomatoes
spices : 1tbsp ras el hanout or something similar (you could use a mixture of cumin/garlic granules/smoked paprika/white pepper/cinnamon/ginger)


I actually found the end of a bag of tagine spice mix, which did nicely.


Heat the olive oil in a pan and toss in the onions and red and green peppers.


Add the chopped chicken breasts and stir fry until cooked through.


Sprinkle over the spices and some salt.


Add the chick peas, tinned tomatoes, almonds and apricots. Feel free to add a little water if you need more sauce.


Simmer for 20 minutes for the flavours to mingle and the sauce to thicken then serve with couscous.

This is a family-friendly meal that is really quick to throw together so it's perfect for a midweek meal after a long day at work. 


Linking up to the #readcookeat challenge at Chez Maximka.


Linking up to the #KitchenClearout linky because it used up my bag of spice mix.

*** Don't miss my country-by-country globecooking recipe index ! ***


3 comments:

  1. That's my kind of recipe! I love all the dried fruit and meat combinations. Thank you for your kind mention of my cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this recipe, looks very filling and great for the colder months to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a good recipe to adapt to whatever you have in the cupboard. Thanks for giving a spices list.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...