Thursday 24 September 2015

Globecooking : Kraft Macaroni & Cheese (USA)


I make a pretty mean macaroni cheese from scratch but I've always wanted to try genuine American Kraft Mac & Cheese. I was pretty sure I'd turn my nose up and think it tasted of plastic but I wanted to try it all the same, just to tick it off my culinary bucketlist, so when I saw some on the shelf at Tesco's, I couldn't resist and threw it straight in my trolley.


There's just something so iconic about the blue box and the blurb on the packaging makes it sound like an unmissable part of American life. "Congratulations, you just picked up a box of delicious gooey macaroni & cheese dinner. Chances are you'll be serving it to your kids but at the same time helping yourself to a spoonful or two. Don't worry, we understand. It's the same classic cheesy taste you know and love from your own childhood, so go ahead, dig in." Well, how could I say no to an invitation like that ?!


The first thing I noticed is how small the macaroni is. You can't really tell from this photo but it's about a third of the size of the regular macaroni I use.


The important thing is the cheese sauce powder - aaah just look at that colour, so yellow it almost looks toxic ! I was surprised to see that once the macaroni is cooked and drained, you just throw it back in the pan with some margarine and milk and stir in the chesse sauce powder with no extra cooking required.


I was dubious to say the least but I must admit, we all loved the taste and it did create a lovely creamy sauce. I didn't really expect to be a fan but I'd definitely buy this again. All I need to know is what gives the sauce that lovely cheesiness - I'll be experimenting at home but it's probably all E-numbers !

*** Don't miss my country-by-country globecooking recipe index ! ***

Fancy some more American dishes? How about Brownie CookiesNew York Baked CheesecakeParmesan Chicken

5 comments:

  1. Pam Francis Gregory24 September 2015 at 16:39

    Looks like it's very much a kids meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all ate it, with pork chops and ratatouille, and everyone loved it - not exactly gourmet nosh but nice once in a while as a quick bit of comfort food !

      Delete
  2. Real comfort food right there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter just loves macaroni cheese so will have to get this if I see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very expensive for what it is but the kids liked the exotic wow-factor of eating something genuinely American !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...