Thursday 26 May 2016

Don't fry for me Argentina ! This month's Kitchen Trotter destination


This month's Kitchen Trotter box has just arrived and we're back in South America, this time discovering the cuisine of Argentina. I loved the Peruvian and Colombian boxes, so I'm hoping Argentina will be just as tasty.


My little extra for being an ambassador got us off to a great start - a Mango Mojito mix. That sounds just what I'll need after next week's three day school trip to London !


The big bag of herba maté looks intriguing - maté is a common drink in Argentina for all ages.


Two jars with very different contents - chimichurri sauce, to give a spicy kick to meat, and dulce de leche, which is an iconic Argentinian product apparently.


As well as the jar of dulce de leche, there is also a pack of alfajores stuffed with dulce de leche which sounds like the Argentinian version of Wagon Wheels, that I haven't eaten since I was a kid !


Dulce de Batata is a sort of sweet potato jam or jelly, traditionally eaten with cheese or in a tart.


Ground chilli is the most commonly used spice in Argentina apparently and this month's gadget is a metal straw, traditionally used in Argentina for drinking maté.

So on to the recipes.


The starter is Locro, a potato, meat and vegetable stew (which sounds more like a main course to me).


Humitas with a twist - a creamy , cheesy corn and butternut squash dish.


Dulce de leche for dessert sounds rather tempting but also a bit daunting because I've seen many a fondant fail on Masterchef !


As a second dessert, there is a Dulce de Batata tart called Pasta Frola, to be served with a glass of maté.

It all sounds rather delicious but it will have to wait util I'm back from my London school trip.

4 comments:

  1. Mango Mojito sounds delicious! Looks like another super selection of exotic goodies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the homely, rustic recipes that often come with the South American boxes :)

      Delete
  2. As an Argentinian, I must say that the Mango Mojito mix is not something from here, we do not even produce Mango which is a tropical fruit, far from being popular, is rather exotic in these lands. The rest is pretty accurate, but the Pasta Frola is more popular made with quince than sweet potato :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting. I guessed as much for the mango mojito - it didn't sound or look very authentic ! I'll have to have another go at pasta frola with quince - I have a jar of quince jam in the cupboard that would be perfect ! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...