Friday 27 May 2016

Madhouse recipe : Black Pudding Stuffed Potatoes


A few months ago, I won a selection of MacSween haggis products, including this pack of Chocolate & Chilli Black Pudding. I'm a bit squeamish about black pudding - it is made with blood after all ! - so it's been sitting in the freezer ever since. I finally decided to get brave but I knew that the kids wouldn't want to try it, so I made a black pudding-free version for them (the Mexican stuffed potatoes that I shared yesterday) then added black pudding to the grown-up version.


Now, there's just no way of making black pudding look appetising when it's cooking. It looked like coal and I thought I'd turned it into charcoal but it was just the colour of the blood sausage coming through. This one has a slightly sweet topnote coming through from the chocolate and a slight chilli kick but the main flavour is the earthiness of the black pudding.


I chopped it into pieces and added it to the Mexican stuffed potatoes filling, along with the red, green and yellow peppers, kidney beans, bacon, onions and potatoes.


I used this filling to restuff the potatoes before popping them back under the grill for ten minutes to fully reheat.

Well, I'm still far from the world's biggest black pudding fan but mixing it in with the other ingredients made it a lot more palatable. Black pudding is starting to be hailed as a superfood, because it contains lots of iron, but also zinc, protein, potassium, calcium and magnesium. Do you like black pudding? If so, how do you eat yours?


Adding to this month's #KitchenClearout linky because it was about time I found a recipe to use the black pudding !

5 comments:

  1. This sounds yummy
    Not had black pudding for years
    Thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not had black pudding for years
    Think I'll give this a go
    Thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not had black pudding for years
    Think I'll give this a go
    Thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry i still can't get passed the pigs blood part lol Does look nice though x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know what you mean - I had a very tentative first taste but it's not bad mixed in with other ingredients. I'm not keen on its own though !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...