Saturday 2 July 2016

#KitchenClearout June roundup and July linky


So, despite the weather, we're into the summer. No doubt we'll all be busy winding down the fridge and freezer before heading off on holiday so there may some great opportunities for a #KitchenClearout. Here's what we all came up with this month.


I kicked things off with a bit of a fail - my Tropical Crunch Cake which had a lovely mango and coconut flavour but totally sank in the middle. 


Humitas is a delicious Argentinian dish made with sweetcorn, butternut squash, peppers and various other odds and ends - I used up some squishy tomatoes tht were on their last legs.


Back to traditional British food but with a twist, Curried Mince & Veg Pie used up the leftover vegetables, potatoes and gravy from the Sunday roast.


Peas and Rice is a Turks and Caicos Islands-inspired dish that doesn't actually involve peas as we know them but did use up a pack of mini hotdog sausages that were lurking in the fridge.


Alison from Dragons & Fairydust came up with a lovely exotic dish - Coconutty Chicken with Sweet Potato Wedges - that inspired me to use up my own half bag of gado gado sauce mix.


Elaine at Fun As A Gran joined in with a Peanut Butter & Dried Fruit Cake which is a brilliant way of clearing out the dried fruit and seeds that I always have at the back of the cupboard.


Jane at Onions and Paper came up with Chipotle Burgers - the perfect way to use up those bottles of BBQ sauce or similar that I have lots of in the fridge


Galina at Chez Maximka always puts me to shame with her beautiful food that is even more beautifully presented and her coconut, banana and white chocolate cupcakes are no exception. As lovely to look at as they are to eat.


Proving that she can make just as impressive savoury as sweet options, she also linked up her Tomatoey Veal Stew - perfect for this weird winter/summer weather we're having at the moment.


Mashed Potato Bake is a simple way of jazzing up leftover mash and using up whatever you have in the fridge - cheese, bacon, leeks, mushrooms, tomatoes, ...


A pack of soup pasta that had been lurking in the cupboard for months after I received it in a cookery challenge hamper was turned into Minestrone Soup - a hearty and healthy option that the whole family enjoyed.


This one isn't a looker but it tasted amazing - a Puff Pastry Pizza Tart - perfect for using up squishy tomatoes and whatever else is in the fridge that could go on pizza (olives, goat's cheese, ham, etc)


I loved the sound of Jane from Onions and Paper's Sausages with Semi Dried Tomatoes, Pesto and Potatoes and that was even before I discovered that she made her own semi-dried tomatoes. The perfect way to wind down the fridge before going on holiday.


And finally for this month, Alison from Dragons and Fairydust made some Anzac biscuits - I love these and just happen to have everything I need in the cupboards so I may just have to make some of these this afternoon.

I never fail to be impressed at how inventive we are and how this all helps reduce food waste, as well as save wasting money on unused groceries. I can't wait to see what the summer edition will have to offer :)


Fancy joining in? Have a rummage through your kitchen cupboards, spice rack, freezer or fridge and see if there's anything that needs using up then come and share your creations with us. Or if it's way past its sell-by date, throw it in the bin and come and tell us what you found ! It would be great if you could add my badge and a link to this post for anyone else who wants to get involved.











7 comments:

  1. I am someone who doesn't waste anything
    Every week before my shop I clear out -composte or smoothies or soups I can't say I have anything out of date

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always find I have half packets of dried fruit and nuts or leftovers of exotic ingredients and spices that were bought for specific recipes and I don't know what else to do with them ! That was how the linky started in fact, as I was challenging myself to use up the things that were hanging around in the cupboard with no specific purpose :)

      Delete
  2. Haven't we travelled far and wide with our recipes last month? So much inspiration for using all those odds and ends lingering in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We certainly have ! I always love the fact that it's such a mixed bag of totally eclectic recipes :)

      Delete
  3. Its my first time participating, thanks to Galina above that I found you. I am sharing a recipe made with left over veg. Thank you so much for hosting and i hope to join in more now that I have discovered this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic - thanks for joining in and I look forward to seeing your future creations :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...