Wednesday 20 July 2016

Madhouse recipe : Watermelon, cheese and mint salad


The last time I went to the local Sunday market, I ended up coming home with a huge wedge of watermelon. This is just a piece of it that I chopped off for Juliette to munch on - I swear that girl has an inbuilt food radar. Whenever I arrive in the house with something that she likes to eat, she instantly appears in the kitchen !


We all love watermelon as it's a taste that reminds us of our holidays abroad, especially in Kusadasi, Turkey, where our hotel had a watermelon festival. They had amazing carved watermelons on display and everything from watermelon soup and cocktails to mocked up cakes made of watermelon slices covered in cream !

While the kids were happy to munch on wedge after wedge of the deliciously juicy fruit, I decided to use some up in a recipe too. As we were having a BBQ, I opted for a watermelon, cheese and mint salad. It was surprisingly delicious and extremely refreshing - perfect for the summer.


Watermelon, cheese and mint salad


ingredients :

a large chunk of watermelon
a handful of fresh mint leaves
200g cheese, preferably feta
lime juice

Chop the watermelon into bite-sized chunks - you can remove the pips but I don't mind if a few get left in. Drizzle with lime juice and toss. Finely chop the mint leaves and add to the bowl. Traditionally, you should use feta cheese. As it was a last minute decision and I didn't have any feta in the fridge, I used what was at hand which was a tub of Tomato & Chive Boursin and it worked surprisingly well. Mix it all up then leave to chill in the fridge until you're ready to eat.

2 comments:

  1. Love those carved watermelons. The salad sounds really refreshing as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We watched the chef carving them and he made it look so simple !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...