Wednesday 23 September 2015

Globecooking recipe : Callaloo gratin (Jamaica)


This recipe came off the back off my tin of Dunn's River Callaloo and it sounded really tasty so I copied it down before I threw away the can ! I have yet to try it but I've been really impressed with the Kingston Curry Callaloo & Bacon Parcels and the Cheesy Callaloo Rolls so it's on the cards the next time I buy a can. You could use spinach instead though, if you can't get hold of callaloo.

Callaloo Gratin


 (serves 2-3)

ingredients :

2 x 280g cans of callaloo
2 small onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2tbsp vegetable oil
2 eggs, beaten
2tbsp parmesan
5tbsp breadcrumbs
salt & pepper

Fry onions and garlic in oil until soft.

Mix callaloo, eggs, parmesan, salt & pepper.

Stir in onion and garlic mixture. Pour into an oven proof dish and sprinkle with breadcrmbs.

Bake at 180° for 20 minutes. Delicious served hot or cold.

*** Don't miss my country-by-country globecooking recipe index ! ***

Fancy some more Jamaican dishes? How about Callaloo RollsInfused rum (rhum arrangĂ©) or Jamaican Jerk Chicken with Mango Chilli Salsa & Spicy Wedges?

8 comments:

  1. I have bookmarked this, I could do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exciting, but quick and easy , just my sort of recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect for midweek meals when you're in a rush :)

      Delete
  3. I'd never heard of Callaloo before. Looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can find it in the Caribbean section at the supermarket.

      Delete
  4. You have talked about this exotic ingredient with such enthusiasm, that I now feel like trying it myself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could get pretty much the same result with spinach :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...