Monday 14 September 2015

Kitchen Trotter is transporting our tastebuds to Sri Lanka !


This month's globecooking destination is a total unknown - Sri Lanka. I'm assuming the food will be similar to Indian but I'm not really sure. They produce and export a lot of tea and cinnamon so they may be flavours that come through in the cooking. Time to find out !


My one complaint about the Kitchen Trotter boxes is that they are too heavy on the herbs and spices, and in particular, herbs and spices that we've already had before in other boxes. I know I've already got cardamom pods on my overloaded shelf from a past box. Black curry sounds intriguing though and the little pot of saffron will give a lovely splash of colour.


A big pot of curry leaves - I already had a bag of these but these ones smell much fresher ad more vibrant - and some disconcerting looking dried tamarind.


A bag of Murukku - a snack similar to churros apparently, made from rice and lentil flour.


Rice flour.


A tea infuser - yellow as it's the main colour of the Sri Lankan flag !

So what will we (or rather I !) be cooking ?


Crispy Medu Vada-style Lentil Fritters


Chicken Biryani - a dish I've eaten many times but maybe not in its most authentic version


Kadai tofu with hoppers


Payasam - a dessert made with cashew nuts and cardamom

I'll let you know how we get on !

*** Don't miss my country-by-country globecooking recipe index ! ***

4 comments:

  1. These sound amazing! My boyfriend is from Sri Lanka so I'll have to get practicing some of these to surprise him :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh you'll have to give me some feedback on the finished dishes and tell me how authentic they are ! :)

      Delete
  2. Loving the look of that dessert. Can't wait to see what you make

    ReplyDelete
  3. Went to Sri Lanka in the '80s. The Sri Lankans are lovely and the food fantastic! I like the look of the dessert.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...