Saturday 19 September 2015

Globecooking recipe : Kingston Curry Callaloo & Bacon Parcels (Jamaica)


You may remember that I made Cheesy Callaloo Rolls using the tin of callaloo in my Jamaican-themed Kitchen Trotter box a few months ago, so, when I spotted a tin on the shelves at Tesco's, I decided to buy some more and have another go. This time I decided to play with the flavours, adding bacon and Kingston curry powder, to give it a real Jamaican twist.


 Kingston Curry Callaloo & Bacon Parcels


ingredients :

300g chopped bacon/lardons
2 onions
1 clove of garlic
1 large tomato
a tin of callaloo (or you could use fresh or frozen spinach)
2tsp Kingston curry powder
4 sheets of filo pastry


Fry the bacon and drain off excess fat. Toss in the onion and garlic.


Add the chopped tomato and Kingston curry powder.


Drain the callalloo and spoon into the pot. Cook for five minutes then leave to cool.


Divide into four and put a portion in the middle of each sheet of filo pastry.


Fold up into a parcel and bake in a preheated oven (180°) for 10 minutes or so until golden and crispy.

Serve with salad and rice. You could also put a sweet chilli mango dipping sauce on the side.

*** Don't miss my country-by-country globecooking recipe index ! ***

Fancy some more Jamaican dishes? How about Callaloo RollsInfused rum (rhum arrangĂ©) or Jamaican Jerk Chicken with Mango Chilli Salsa & Spicy Wedges?

Link up your recipe of the week

7 comments:

  1. This is another exotic ingredient which I have never tried. The parcels look so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very much like spinach so you could use that instead

      Delete
  2. This recipe looks so delicious. I'm sure it is and I'd love to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These parcels look really tasty. I also discovered callaloo when I was sent some recently and made a chicken and callaloo curry. This is a much more inventive way to use it though! I love the idea of putting some curry inside a filo parcel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh nice, I must look for this callaoo. such a muscial name

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...