Wednesday 7 September 2016

An antipodean Kitchen Trotter box


This month's Kitchen Trotter box has arrived and, as you can see from the picture of didgeridoos (or diggidyboos, as Pierre used to say !) it's undoubtedly the most far-flung destination yet (or in fact ever, as it's impossible to get any further) - Australia. The first item that I pulled out of the box, and immediately tucked into after checking it wasn't needed for any of the recipes, was the Tim Tam. My online Aussie friends all seem to have a thing for Tim Tams so I was keen to see what all the fuss was about - they're very similar to Penguin biscuits in the UK and are, in fact, just as delicious as I'd been told !


Next out of the box was a pavlova mix and a bag of BBQ beef jerky.


The next two items don't seem at all exotic to me as a Brit - golden syrup (which has apparently been produced in Australia for over a hundred years) and Heinz BBQ sauce (both of which I already had in the cupboard so they were a slight disappointment).


There was also some Murray River salt (from  Australia's longest river), some Aboriginal spice mix (a surprising blend of rice flour, lemon myrtle, Tasmanian pepper, anise seeds, nutmeg, lemon zest, salt, garlic, black pepper, paprika, celery, rosemary and icing sugar) and a jar of Beetroot & Horseradish relish.

So what Aussie tucker (and hopefully not bush tucker !) will we discovering this month?


Beef tartlets, which use the beef jerky and minced beef.


Aussie burgers, spicy coleslaw and fries


The classic Australian dessert named after the Russian ballerina, Pavlova.


And ANZAC biscuits - a recipe that I've already tried but they're delicious so I wont mind making them again !

It's all very homely and family-friendly this month so I'm sure the kids will be more enthusiastic than for some of the more unusual and exotic cuisines !

I'll be back to share the recipes soon - in the meantime, feel free to explore my zillions of other globe-cooking destinations in my country-by-country recipe index. Where's for dinner tonight ?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...