Wednesday 14 September 2016

Globecooking recipe : Pistachio cream semifreddo (Italy)


When I saw that one of the recipes in my Italian-themed Kitchen Trotter box was for a semifreddo, literally a "half cold", I was intrigued. I knew that it was an Italian dessert but I had no idea of what it was. Well, now that I've tried it, I'll definitely be experimenting with other flavours because it's delicious - it's like a lighter, softer but decadently rich and creamy ice cream. 


I needed one ingredient from the Italian box - a jar of pistachio cream from Sicily.

Pistachio cream semifreddo

ingredients :

a jar of pistachio cream
3 eggs
50g sugar
250ml whipping cream (crème fleurette)
some raspberries and pistachios to serve


Start off by separating the eggs.



Beat the yolks with the sugar until they go frothy.



In a separate bowl, whip the cream. I used light "crème fleurette" which has 20% fat but still promised to be whippable (I think I might have just made that word up !) on the carton.


Sure enough, it made beautifully thick and fluffy whipped cream. Usually, you need about 30-35% fat content for whipping cream though so check the labels carefully. Make sure it is very cold too, which will help it stay thick and firm.



Gently fold the cream into the egg yolks, then do the same with the pistachio cream.



Add a pinch of salt to the egg whites and use a electric whisk to beat them into firm peaks.


Gently fold the egg whites into the cream mixture.


Spoon into individual ramekins and put in the freezer for at least a few hours or overnight.


Take them out of the freezer an hour before you serve them and scatter fresh raspberries and some crushed pistachios on top.


*** Click through for my country-by-country globecooking index ***

Link up your recipe of the week

3 comments:

  1. What a delicious dessert! I love semifreddo, though haven't made one in ages. The recipe I use has added crushed meringues, fresh blackberries and cocoa powder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh that sounds gorgeous - I need to investigate :)

      Delete
  2. oh this looks sooo good -I want an italian box!!!Pistachio cream! yum

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...