Thursday 15 September 2016

Madhouse diaries : Kite festival at the beach


I've been so busy sharing stories about our summer holiday in Lanzarote that I haven't had a chance to tell you what's been going on closer to home. A couple of weeks ago, with the backdrop of a beach and a bright blue sky that would put Lanzarote to shame, we headed to Dunkirk beach for the Festival du Vent - the Festival of the Wind. 


There were various extreme sports going on, such as kite-surfing, wind-surfing and sand-yachting, but what interested us was the kites down the far end of the beach.


There were all sorts of different shapes, from clown fish and teddy bears to frogs and Tweety Pie.


There was even a gigantic hippo anchored to the beach !


Some were doing acrobatics and looked just like Siamese fighting fish tumbling about in the sky.


We were impressed by just how many strings were attached to the different kites - I suppose they have to prepare for the eventuality of some of the strings snapping. I bet the big ones cost an absolute fortune so it would be very sad to see them drifting off into the sky because of a broken string !


There was also a section given over to windmills and windchimes.


But the main attraction was definitely the kites. This was one of our favourites.


Nemo was being filled up with what looked like a giant hairdryer just as we were leaving !


Oh look, it's a Pokemon (maybe) !


The only bad thing was the wind blowing the sand in our eyes. Without the wind we wouldn't have had the kites though, so we couldn't really complain !

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, a kite festival! That looks so dreamy. I'd love to be able to take my daughter to one too. Love your photos :) #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm yet to make it to a kite festival. It does look colourful. Always amazes me how the kites are tethered and stay up there. We struggle to stay up with our little kites. #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was the perfect amount of wind - enough to keep them up but not too blowy

      Delete
  3. Looks like so much time and interest goes into these kites and what a wonderful sight they make. I love all the different colours in the sky though how the strings don't tangle and bring each other down I'm not sure? What a lovely welcome home for you to have these gorgeous sunny days.

    Thank you for sharing with me on #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pierre was disappointed that we hadn't thought to take his little kite along with us but that was what I said - imagine if it had got tangled in the strings of the big ones. Eek !

      Delete
  4. Wow those kites look amazing! I bet all of them together made a wonderful effect! #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can just imagine the views along the beach were surreal and quite amazing - some of the kites look huge! What a great festival.
    Wise words about your kite - Which reminds me, we need to buy a new kite, ours got tangled last year!
    #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...