Friday 2 September 2016

Book review : No Rest For The Wicked - Dane Cobain


At only 124 pages long, No Rest For The Wicked is a novella rather than a fully-fledged novel. All the way through, it reminded me of another book that I'd read, which also involved avenging angels of death, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was, even having looked through all the books I've reviewed on Goodreads. If you know which book I'm thinking of, let me know in the comments because it's driving me mad ! (I think I've found it - I think it's been reminding me of the Angel / Angel Fire / Angel Fever trilogy by L.A. Weatherly - click through to read my reviews)

The story revolves around a terrifying worldwide invasion by sinister, murderous, extra-terrestrial beings, who resemble dark angels. These celestial entities judge people for their sins and destroy the worthless ones in sadistic and excruciatingly painful ways. The problem is, just about everyone seems to be unworthy through their eyes, which see evil and failings everywhere. 

One man, an elderly priest called Father Montgomery, and his unwitting son, are the only ones who manage to pierce the mystery of the evil angels' creation and see some way forward, even if it's not really a happy ending, in the usual sense of the term.

It's an interesting read but I'd have liked the characters to have greater depth. It seemed almost allegorical, with a life lesson for us all about seeing the world through another man's eyes before judging him. I like the mixture of paranormal horror and pseudo-scientific reasoning, as well as the way the book throws up unexpected twists and turns along the way, before a majestic and satisfying ending. If you like to read wild cards, that don't really fit into any specific, defined genre, you won't be disappointed.

star rating : 4/5

  • Paperback: 128 pages
  • Publisher: Forsaken (22 May 2015)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1620159023
  • ISBN-13: 978-1620159026



Disclosure : I received a copy of the book in order to write an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...