Thursday 27 October 2016

Madhouse recipe : Creamy Cauliflower Soup


The first time I saw Soupe Du Barry  on the menu at the school canteen, I had no idea what it was. When I discovered that it was cauliflower soup, I wrinkled up my nose - I like cauliflower cheese but I wasn't keen on the idea of it in a soup. However, I tasted it and actually thought it was very nice. As I had half a cauliflower in the fridge after making cauliflower, carrot & potato cheese earlier in the week, I decided to give it a go at home.

Creamy Cauliflower Soup

ingredients :

half a cauliflower
3tbsp butter
3tbsp flour
450ml milk
100ml crème fraîche
salt, pepper, mild curry powder (optional)


First boil the cauliflower for ten minutes and drain. You might want to keep the cooking water to add to the soup if it's too thick.


Put the butter in the now empty pan and melt it over a low heat. Stir in the flour to make a roux. 


Pour in the milk and bring to the boil, stirring continually, until you have a smooth white sauce. Put the cauliflower back in the pan and whizz with a stick blender.


Add the cream and seasonings. You could add a touch of curry powder or alternatively stir in some grated cheese or cheese triangles. Add water if it's too thick.

It's a bit bland but it made a nice change to our usual Mexican tomato/bean and vegetable soups. It's also a very frugal meal and a great way of using up leftover cauliflower, whether cooked or raw. It would work with a mixture of cauliflower and other veg, such as leeks, broccoli or potato too.


Adding to the #KitchenClearout linky because it used up my cauliflower.

4 comments:

  1. I have heard of Du Barry soup. It looks so creamy, I really fancy some now. I don't often cook cauliflower, but must mae this soup some time soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I saw what went into it (basically nothing), I suddenly understood why it is on the menu at the school canteen so often ! lol

      Delete
  2. I love cauliflower - I might try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Potage Du Barry - it's a French classic (apparently!) ;-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...