Monday 17 October 2016

Globecooking recipe : Peach Dutch Baby (or Oven Pancakes) (USA)


On a recent Pioneer Woman blogpost, I saw a recipe go by for Peach Dutch Babies, also known as Oven Pancakes or German Pancakes. I was intrigued by the name, as I love globe-cooking, and by the technique, as I'd never thought to make pancakes in the oven before. The recipe explained that they have a higher ratio of eggs to flour than normal pancakes - in fact, you can leave the flour out altogether if you want ! - so they're higher in protein and slightly better for you. We did find that this gave them a slight eggy flavour though ! Not bad but I'm not sure I'll be making them again.

 Peach Dutch Baby 

ingredients :

4 Eggs
1/2 cup milk/cream/Greek yogurt
1tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 cup Flour 
1/2tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
2 Tablespoons Melted Butter
1 can of peaches


Put all of the ingredients except for the peaches in a blender or use a balloon whisk (and a small child, if you have one handy !) to create a smooth batter.


Pour into a greased oven-proof pan. Lay the peaches on top - it's up to you if you use fresh or tinned, halves or slices.


Bake at 220° for 15 minutes then reduce the temperature to 170° for a further 5-10 minutes.


Cut into slices and eat hot or cold.


It tasted better when we sprinkled it with sugar (or, in our case, I used Canderel Sugarly, that we'd received in a Degustabox). The original recipe also suggests adding icing sugar, maple syrup, whipped cream or ice cream; to make it into a more indulgent dessert. That all sounds great, but I'm not convinced by the idea of eating it cold slathered in butter, which she also suggests !


If you want some more American-inspired sweet treats, I highly recommend Banoffee Whoopie Pies, Pecan Pies, Pumpkin Pie or Brownie Cookies.  

6 comments:

  1. Looks so yummy. Will try it with icing sugar. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen recipes for Dutch baby but never tried it myself. It might be a tad eggy but still sounds delicious. I want to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd drizzle maple syrup over it next time - it needs something sweet to help it out !

      Delete
  3. These look similar to my German apple pancakes. Love the addition of peach,they look so yummy. Added to my pancakes from around the world roundup

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...