Friday 23 October 2015

Globecooking recipe : Pumpkin Pie (USA)


I've had a can of sweetened pumpkin puree sitting in my cupboard since last Christmas, when I treated myself to a hamper full of American groceries. I wasn't really sure what to do with it and I wasn't entirely sure of the reception it would get. Rachel's Organics sent me through a recipe for pumpkin pie to try out though, so this was the little push I needed !



The photo at the top was what I was aiming for (just as well I had a model as I had no idea what pumpkin pie was supposed to look like !) and this is how my attempt came out - not bad at all and it actually tasted much nicer than I expected, even if Pierre and Juliette couldn't be convinced !

Pumpkin Pie


Ingredients:

320g ready to roll short crust pastry
425g canned pumpkin, such as Libby’s
140g caster sugar
½ tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp ground cinnamon
2 eggs, beaten
25g butter, melted
100g Rachel’s Greek Style Low Fat Yogurt

Topping:

200g Rachel’s Greek style Apple & Cinnamon Yogurt
A sprinkle of ground cinnamon

Serves: 6-8 Preparation & Cooking Time: 1½ hours

Method

1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Roll out the pastry on to a floured surface, and line a 22cm fluted loose bottom tart tin with the pastry. Once lined with pastry, place in the fridge for 10 minutes to relax (this will stop the pastry from shrinking). (I really wasn't impressed with my ready-to-roll shortcrust pastry - it was dry and split in places and was not very pliable or easy to work with - I'd use ready-to-roll puff pastry if I made it again.)


2. Remove the pastry case from the fridge and line with a sheet of parchment paper and baking beans. Bake the pastry for 15-20 minutes, then remove the paper and beans and cook for a further 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.



Time to open the can of pumpkin - it was unsweetened which surprised me, but I suppose it makes it more versatile because it could be used in savoury dishes like soup, as well as sweet options such as pumpkin pie or (a dish that an American friend swears by) pumpkin cheesecake.


3. In a bowl combine the pumpkin puree, caster sugar and spices, then beat in the eggs, melted butter and yogurt.


It really doesn't look very appetising at this stage !



4. Pour the mixture into the tart shell and cook for 35-40 minutes until the filling has just set and has a slight wobble. (Sorry about the state of my battered old baking tray - I really should invest in a new one !)


5. Leave to cool then remove the pie from the tin. (One edge of my pie crust got a bit too brown and the other side flopped over - but all in all I was quite impressed with how it came out. I didn't take it ouf the tin though because the pumpkin part started to crack as soon as I started trying to remove it.)


6. To serve, top with swirls of apple & cinnamon yogurt and a sprinkle of ground cinnamon. Serve chilled. The kids also went a bit mad with a can of squirty cream !

It's a surprising but not unpleasant taste - not my favourite dessert ever but nice to try as a traditional Halloween treat.

for more recipe ideas : http://rachelsorganic.co.uk/

*** Don't miss my country-by-country globecooking recipe index ! ***


Linking up with #KitchenClearout as I finally used up my can of pumpkin !

Link up your recipe of the week

Disclosure : I received some vouchers from Rachel's for the yogurts, in order to try out the recipe.

7 comments:

  1. I'm sure it tastes delicious but I'm not sure about sweet pumpkin. Never tried it though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was what I thought but it was better than I expected !

      Delete
  2. I have never seen cans of pumpkin, very odd. It looks like it works well though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can get them in the American imports section at the supermarket - it does take all the work out !

      Delete
  3. I first tried pumpkin pie a few years ago when I lived in the states. First taste I was a little unsure but after a few more mouthfuls I loved it! I must try making one myself, thanks for sharing the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must admit, it's growing on me, the more I eat it !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't had pumpkin pie for ages maybe I'll try one and see what my Daughters think of it

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...