Thursday 8 October 2015

Globecooking recipe : Kue Dadar Gulung (Indonesia)


Don't worry - Kue Dadar Gulung are much easier to make than they are to pronounce ! They're basically pancakes with a sweet coconut filling.


They get their vibrant green colour and distinctive flavour from the Pandan Extract that I received in my Indonesian-themed Kitchen Trotter box.

Kue Dadar Gulung 


ingredients :

120g flour
a pinch of salt
1 egg
350ml (250ml + 100ml) coconut milk
125g grated coconut (fresh or dessicated)
100g light brown sugar
1tsp pandan extract


Put the flour, egg, pandan extract, 250ml coconut milk and a couple of tablespoons of the sugar in a bowl.


Beat to create a pancake batter. If your coconut milk is too thick, you can dilute it with a drizzle of coconut water. Leave to stand for 15 minutes.


Put the remaining 100ml of coconut milk and the sugar in a small frying pan. (As I was using up my can of coconut milk from the Sri Lankan Egg Hoppers, I ran out of coconut milk after making the batter, so I used some coconut water that I had in the fridge instead.)


This made Pierre laugh because he thought the bubbles looked like lots of litte eyes. I thought it looked more like frogspawn ! (If using coconut milk, not oconut water, you should have a much thicker filling.)


Heat on a low heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens up. Pour into a bowl to cool.


In the same pan, use a ladleful of the green batter to make a pancake. Cook for a couple of minutes on each side until firm and springy. Keep going until you run out of mixture.


Put one pancake at a time on a plate and drizzle the coconut mixture down the centre. Fold the two ends towards the centre then roll up.


Some will work perfectly.


And some won't !


These got a mixed reception - Sophie loved them, Juliette and Pierre hated them  (I think they were put off by the colour !) and the grown-ups thought they were ok but nothing special apart from the colour as they're just pancakes really.

*** Don't miss my country-by-country globecooking recipe index ! ***

If you fancy trying some more Indonesian cuisine, how about Ayem ArehGado Gado or Mie Goreng ?

Link up your recipe of the week

1 comment:

  1. The pancake usually has a green color, which is acquired from daun suji or pandan leaves. It is a green-colored folded pancake made of rice flour, filled with grated coconut and palm sugar. These are rolled pancakes sweet snacks made of pandan-flavoured pancakes with coconut and palm sugar filling. It tastes delightfully light and simply delicious. I will definitely try this one at home for my family. I make banana pancakes for my family every weekend. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...