Thursday 22 October 2015

Madhouse recipe : Hairy Bikers' Cheese & Onion Pie


When flicking through my Hairy Bikers' Mum Knows Best cook book last week, looking for recipe inspiration for my menu plan, this one for Cheese & Onion Pie caught my eye. As I scanned through, I was slightly underwhelmed - it's basically cheesy mash ! - but I decided to give it a go anyway and it actually turned out really nice.

Hairy Bikers' Cheese & Onion Pie


ingredients :

2 onions
8-10 potatoes (depending on size - basically a pan full !)
butter & milk
salt, pepper
dried breadcrumbs
grated cheese


Melt quite a lot of butter (because it will be going in the mash afterwards) and use it to gently fry the onions. Make sure they don't burn ! You just want them soft and slightly caramelised.



Boil the potatoes (I left the skins on - it's all added fibre and texture and the kids don't mind !) then mash them. Add the onions and butter and a splash of milk and mix it all to a creamy mash. Add extra butter if required. Season with salt and pepper.


Put the mash in an ovenproof dish.


Top with dried breadcrumbs, grated cheese and small knobs of butter.


Bake at 180° for 15-20 minutes until lovely and golden brown and crunchy on top.


I served this with an egg and bacon, but it would go with anything really. Family-friendly comfort food at its best !


Link up your recipe of the week

7 comments:

  1. This looks a little bit like Whitley Goose or Pan Haggerty which are similar ish but more onion based. It would make a great side dish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made pan haggerty (from the same recipe book, I think) which had sliced potatoes, bacon and carrots in it and was lovely. I remember seeing Whitley Goose on your blog I think?

      Delete
  2. Have saved this for meal plan this month - looks amazing!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very simple but makes mash a bit more special :)

      Delete
  3. This sounds delicious! Will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds delicious! Will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...