Tuesday 27 October 2015

#KitchenClearout : Tackling the spice rack !


As you know, I love globe-cooking. This means that I have a vast array of herbs and spices on the rack in my kitchen to add an exotic note to my meals. In fact, I don't have one spice rack - I have five !


And they are still overflowing ! The two containing jars are nice and neat and tidy, because it's easy to keep things neat when all the jars are the same size and shape. My problem is the middle rack which contains all the odd-shaped jars, tins and tubs of spices, as well as half-used sachets of all sorts of leaves and whole spices. Every month, my Kitchen Trotter boxes deliver another product or three to add to my already overloaded shelf so it's got to the point where removing one item will make four fall down and balancing something back on the shelf takes great skill and dexterity !


The overload shelf to the left is starting to go down the same route so something had to be done !


I took everything down and rearranged it all so the tins are all on the top shelf (still not totally functional as it will be hard to get to the ones at the bottom but it's better than before !) and the bottom is full of all the sachets and whole spices. I'll now be focusing on using up some of these in my next #KitchenClearout mission !

Have you got an overly cluttered spice rack or do you just have a few jars that you use all the time ? I have a selection that stay by the cooker because I use them in everything too - salt, pepper, smoked paprika, garlic granules, oregano and chilli peppers in a grinder. I'm totally incapable of cooking anything without adding a few shakes of something to jazz it up !


Linking up to this month's #KitchenClearout linky. What's lurking in your larder?

6 comments:

  1. And I thought I had a lot of spices! I've got loads of spices & herbs where you use them for one recipe and never use them again and so they get older and older on the shelves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I can actually see what I've got, I'll be trying to work my way through some of them !

      Delete
  2. Wow so many spices. I only have a few. Need to get more adventurous with cooking but with a fussy son it is hard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's usually just me and the hubby eating the spicy stuff, the kids aren't keen !

      Delete
  3. Love your shelves' arrangement, it's a creative space, albeit a bit chaotic, but then it's like an artist's studio. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to remember that one - it's not a mess, it's a creative space ! ;-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...