Tuesday 13 October 2015

Baking shortcut : Jus-Rol Cinnamon Swirls


Baking from scratch is very gratifying, but I also love using baking kits or ready-made mixes with the kids. I couldn't resist popping these Jus-Rol Cinnamon Swirls in the trolley on a recent shopping trip and they take baking short-cuts to another level !


Inside the box, you get a "can" of ready-to-use dough and a little pot of icing sugar to make the drizzle.


You peel off the red corner on the cardboard tube ...


... then twist it to pull open the pack.


Cut the ready-rolled pastry into six slices, reshape them slightly and put them on a baking sheet.


Pop them into the oven for about ten minutes and they'll be ready to eat. Mix a little water into the icing sugar and stir to create a drizzle


Use a spoon to drizzle across the tops.


Result : one very proud little baker, some lovely pastries to munch on and just a baking tray and a knife to wash up ! They're very tasty but I thought they could have done with more cinnamon in them - the kids disagreed though, they thought they were perfect. When I saw on the pack that these would be ideal for breakfast, I scoffed - who has time to get baking in the morning? - but they are so quick and simple that it is actually feasible and no more hassle than making toast. We preferred ours as a Sunday afternoon treat though !

5 comments:

  1. I love Jus-Rol - if it's good enough for Mary Berry... I also love cinnamon swirls, but I don't like the icing you get on bought ones and I don't like almond essence either. This looks a good compromise, providing there is no almond essence already added. I shall be checking the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't taste any almond essence so you should be ok ! :)

      Delete
  2. I always have Jus-Rol in my fridge, perfect for any bakes. Haven't tried cinnamon swirls yet, they do look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have some croissants and pain au chocolat to make too ! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...