Thursday 24 April 2014

Maille Culinary Challenge : Zingy Mango Salmon with Garlic Kaleslaw


Being married to a Frenchman, I couldn't help but get excited when I was given the opportunity to take part in a cookery challenge for Maille. I love their cornichons (baby gherkins), oils and vinegars, but when I was given a list of products to choose from, I spotted several that I'd never heard of. I decided to opt for two interesting sounding concoctions, Aioli Sauce ("A traditional garlic recipe enhanced with the subtle flavours of basil and crushed black pepper") and the intriguing Mango Vinegar ("Exotic, sweet mango sharpened by the tartness of vinegar"). 

After having a taste, I decided that both of the products are so exquisite in their own right that I would have to be careful not to spoil them by adding extra seasoning or spices into the mix. The balance of flavours is already perfect, so my job in the kitchen would be just to find the right vehicle to bring them to the plate. Here's what I came up with.


Zingy Mango Salmon with Garlic Kaleslaw


ingredients :

2 large handfuls of kale
1 large carrot
2 spring onions
2 heaped tbsp Maille Aioli

1 salmon fillet per person
3 tbsp Maille Mango Vinegar
a small pinch of garlic pepper


Blanch the kale in boiling water for 2 minutes, remove from the heat, drain in a colander and plunge instantly into very cold water. Drain again then squeeze out as much excess water as possible, before tossing to "fluff it up" again. Peel and grate the carrot and finely slice the spring onions. Place all the ingredients in a large bowl, add the Aioli and gently stir until all the ingredients are covered. (It's basically coleslaw with kale instead of white cabbage, hence the name Kaleslaw !) Put in the fridge to chill.

Put the salmon fillets on a baking tray, drizzle generously with Mango Vinegar and place under a hot grill for 15 minutes until perfectly cooked through. Drizzle a little more Mango Vinegar on top just before serving and finish off with a pinch of garlic pepper.

Serve accompanied with the Kaleslaw and crusty bread. DĂ©licieux !

Disclosure : This is my entry for the Maille Culinary Challenge. I received two Maille products in order to take part in the challenge.

Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com

Romanian Mum

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

Madhouse recipe : Moroccan lamb stew #seizetheflavour

3 comments:

  1. Ahh this sounds and looks amazing. I will have to try it out. I never know what to do with salmon. Great idea. Thanks for sharing. #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a refreshing, tasty yet healthy meal!! #TastyTuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  3. So up my street, low carb too! Delicious, stunning photos too! Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...