Friday 25 April 2014

#Alphabakes meets #Randomrecipes : A is for ... Granny's Apple Shortcake


As I told you yesterday, we received this fabulously vibrant Big Baking Book - The Yellow One from Ella's Kitchen so I was secretly pleased when my finger landed on its spine when picking a book for this month's Random Recipes Challenge. I was over the moon to see that Dom at Belleau Kitchen has joined forces with Caroline over at Caroline Makes and Ros at The More Than Occasional Baker to combine Random Recipes with AlphaBakes. I LOVED the idea of Alphabakes - making one recipe for each letter of the alphabet - but by the time I discovered it, they were up to the letter U so it seemed a bit of a waste of time joining in. Well, this month is the first one so I'm determined to join in every month and see what culinary discoveries this leads to !


I turned to the index and, as A is for apple,  my random recipe ended up being Granny's Apple Shortcake. As it's the school holidays, I enlisted the help of the kids to make this one !


Granny's Apple Shortcake


ingredients :

125g unsalted butter
75g golden caster sugar
1/2tsp ground cinammon
1tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
150g self-raising flour
1/2tsp baking powder
2 apples, cored and finely sliced


Preheat oven to 180°. Grease a 20cm sandwich tin.


Cream together the butter, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla. 


Add the eggs and half the flour. 


Then mix in the rest of the flour and the baking powder.


Put half of the cake batter in the tin and dot with apple pieces.


Add the rest of the batter and lay out the apple slices to make a pretty pattern.


Bake for 40 minutes at 180°.


Pierre was very impressed at how pretty this one turned out - baking with the kids usually results in rather scruffy-looking cakes !

 

Joining up with the Random Recipes meets AlphaBakes challenge for the letter A

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

Bye bye Discovery, hello Santa Maria canapé challenge

5 comments:

  1. I love any apple cake that has that puddingy / cake quality to it, I have a very similar recipe where the apples go on top... this one looks so scrummy... good old granny, whoever you were!... thanks for the brilliant entry x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cake looks delicious, very well done to Pierre.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that your little one helped!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that looks good! Will definitely be giving that a try with my little ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like you had a lot of fun! Thanks for entering Alphabakes!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...