Thursday 6 October 2011

Aldi Magnum Premium Original Washing Up Liquid review


Now, if you've just looked at the brand name Aldi and wrinkled up your nose, hold your horses ! Don't knock it until you've tried it ! Which? Magazine has named two of Aldi’s everyday products, Magnum Premium Original Washing Up Liquid and Del Rivo Orange Juice, as best on the market following independent tests against branded and supermarket own label products.


What makes that even more impressive is that this is the first time in 20 years that Fairy has been beaten in a Which? test, with Aldi’s Magnum Premium Original Washing Up Liquid beating off competition from the brand leader and other own label products from supermarkets such as Sainsbury’s and Morrisons.


Which? Magazine tested each product’s ability to remove fat by counting the number of dirty plates that each one could clean. They then checked how long the foam lasts and whether the liquids are too thick or runny. The Which? Magazine test showed that a 59p bottle of Aldi Magnum Washing Up Liquid will wash up to 11,750 plates. Using Fairy Antibacterial Action Eucalyptus, £1.97 worth of washing up liquid would be needed in order to wash the same number of plates.


Which? Magazine said: “Aldi’s Magnum Premium Original is the best washing-up liquid money can buy, despite a bottle costing just 59p, which is almost half the price of the same amount of Fairy Original. Aldi was able to knock Fairy off its perch by increasing the number of active ingredients in its Magnum Premium Original liquid.”

Well, I haven't washed anywhere near 11,750 plates but I have been giving it a good workout on my greasy roasting tins, plates with dried on egg yolk, frying pans and baking tins with baked on muffin spillages and I have to say, I was very impressed. If I hadn't known it was from Aldi, I would have assumed it was one of the big brand leaders - especially as they've cheekily used pretty much the same colours as Fairy for the packaging !

It also didn't dry my hands out or cause any irritations, although I admit I would have liked a more uplifting, original, fruity scent as it's a bit bland. It cuts through grease really well though and you only need one squirt for a typical post-lunch washing-up session.

If you want to save a few pennies on your weekly shop without settling for second best, it's a great product to throw in your trolley.

star rating : 4.5/5

RRP : 59p for 500ml

Other reviews you may be interested in :


5 comments:

  1. I nearly always buy Aldi's washing up liquid (they do nice scented ones as well) and it's one of the very few that does the job without my getting a hideous rash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always buy this washing up liquid - it;s the best.
    @mumoffunkids

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our nearest Aldi closed a bit ago and it is so disappointing, they have some really good products for bargain prices. I just don't get to shop there as often anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have an Aldi near me but there is one not far from my mum and dad so when I see them I usually pop in and I have to say a lot of their stuff is brilliant. I have bought this washing up liquid and it really is very good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Aldi premium original washing up liquid may now be ‘better’, but no use if it now causes your dermatitis to return. The old formula was kinder to your hands.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...