Saturday 1 October 2011

Beat the plastic bag charges and be kind to the environment






As from today, you will now have to pay for plastic bags in Wales and I'm sure it won't be too long before this is generalised into the rest of Britain. Similar charges were introduced in France a couple of years ago and, while there was quite a lot of grumbling to begin with, I'm really pleased to see that now, most people head to the shops with reuseable canvas or jute bags or at least the sturdier Bag For Life type bags.

While you adjust (because in the early days, you'll be amazed how many times you go shopping and groan at the checkout when you realise you've forgotten your shopping bags AGAIN !), you might like one of these nifty little gadgets to keep a constant supply of plastic bags at your disposal for bringing home your shopping.

They're called Baggees and as the blurb says : "Nobody wants to be forced to pay for a plastic bag, so it’s time we all started taking responsibility and doing our bit. Reusing plastic bags is wonderful in theory, but not quite so easy in reality: a ‘man drawer’ stuffed with plastic bags isn’t exactly helpful when you’re at a supermarket till point. Baggee, however, is here to help. It is a flexible, hollow ball created from medical grade recyclable material sourced in the UK. Stuff it with some plastic bags, clip it to the inside of your handbag/keys/wallet/bum bag and be one of the people to bring down the increasing rate at which we consume plastic bags. The Prime Minister may be giving the supermarkets the ultimatum, but it is due to our actions and it is our responsibility. Let’s keep this earth nice, we rather like it."

I haven't tested one but I certainly like the idea.

Baggees are available in six colour for £4.95, for more information visit http://www.baggee.com/

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

6 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good idea. I wonder how big/little they actually are? They look small going by the key chain at the side. I'll look out for them in the shops. If I add a trolley coin onto it my shopping problems might be solved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great idea. I know when I do my big shop we always take bags with us, but when I nip out I always forget them. Kate has a great idea with adding the trolley token too

    ReplyDelete
  3. they are fa, but i shop monthly and thats gots to be alot of keyrings lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound fun. But I would need loads for my shopping
    @mumoffunkids

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea, I have loads of reusable bags because I got to the checkout and thought "damn I forgot my bags" and then I end up buying one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for all the nice comments about our Baggees! They're about 6cm in size and you can buy them from www.baggee.com for £4.95 each.
    We understand what you mean about the monthly shop, but the idea is more to ensure you always have a bag on you what ever you're buying - food, newspapers, milk and bread, shoes! (we're also on Facebook and Twitter if you need more information)
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...