Sunday 4 November 2012

McCain Ready Baked Jackets for Quick Bonfire Night Tea



When I was asked to review McCain Ready Baked Jackets quite some time ago, I was sure they wouldn't live up to their claims. How could a ready-baked potato and, more to the point, a frozen one, possibly have the same great taste of a proper home-baked potato ? Well, I have to say, I was impressed and I've been buying them ever since. They're not quite as good as a potato that you've baked in the oven for an hour and a half because they don't have a really crispy skin but, let's face it, who actually bakes their potatoes from raw these days ? I always zap them in the microwave for 15 minutes then finish them off in the oven for 1/2 hour and I think the McCain Ready Baked Jackets taste just as good as these ones and only take about 5 minutes cooked from frozen.

When McCain asked if I'd like to receive the ingredients to try out one of their Bonfire Night recipes, I opted for  Chunky Chorizo & Juicy Tomato McCain Ready Baked Jackets, but the others sound so tempting that I'll be sharing them with you in another blogpost in a moment.



Chunky Chorizo & Juicy Tomato McCain Ready Baked Jackets

Serves: 2
Preparation & cooking time: 8 minutes
Cost per serving: £2.12


Ingredients:
  • 2 McCain Ready Baked Jackets
  • 150g chorizo cooking sausage, cut into chunky slices
  • 150g fresh cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1 small red pepper, deseeded and sliced
  • Handful of fresh parsley, chopped
  • Salt & pepper to season

Method:
  • Cook two McCain Ready Baked Jackets as per instruction on pack
  • Gently pan fry the chorizo sausage until the oil is released. Then add the tomato halves, pepper slices and parsley and season well with salt and pepper
  • When the potatoes are cooked, open slightly and top with the chorizo and juicy tomato sauce

Now, I have a confession to make. While I was laid up in bed yesterday, Madhouse Daddy Mike and the Mini-Testers ate their way through almost all of the chorizo and cherry tomatoes so I won't be trying out this recipe after all ! Back to our traditional Bonfire Night Twice-Baked Potatoes then, although using the ready-baked potatoes will make it much quicker. First of all, while the potatoes are cooking (or warming up in the microwave), fry off some bacon, onion and mushrooms. Scoop out the still warm potato flesh and mix it with the bacon, onion, mushrooms, grated cheese and baked beans, then use the mixture to restuff the potato skins, sprinkle some extra cheese and black pepper over the top and pop them back in the oven for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and melted.

Do you have any Bonfire Night recipes or traditions you'd like to share ? Feel free to post about them below and I'll come and have a look. :)

Disclosure : I received a packet of McCain Ready Baked Jackets and the ingredients necessary for trying out one of the recipes.

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

Elephant Garlic Recipes

1 comment:

  1. I love these Jacket Potatoes. Quick and easy and keeps the whole family happy! xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...