Sunday 29 September 2013

James Martin Bakery Roasted Red Onion & Balsamic Vinegar Bread Mix review


Last week, I tried out James Martin Bakery's Cheese & Chive Soda Bread which went down rather well, so today I decided to give the other packet a go and made Roasted Red Onion & Balsamic Vinegar Bread. Unlike the soda bread, this one could be made by hand or using a bread machine, but I was a bit dubious of getting the cooking time right in my bread machine, as I always use it on the same setting with the same range of flours, so I made it by hand.


I followed the instructions and it mixed quickly and easily into a ball of sticky dough. I could smell the slight tang of the balsamic vinegar but couldn't detect any red onion - I was hoping to see a few chunks in there.


After leaving it to rise for 45 minutes, I wouldn't say it had doubled in size but it had definitely got bigger.


The picture on the front of the pack shows a tear-and-share loaf, which you make by placing balls of dough so that they are just touching. I decided to do something that I'd always wanted to try and made a plaited loaf.


It didn't really work because one part sprang out so it ended up looking more like a roast chicken, but you get the idea !



When it was cooked through, I put it under the grill to go crusty and brown on top. I love the crustiness of the top splitting open to reveal the softer bread beneath. Tastewise, it's very nice. You get the delicate flavour of the balsamic vinegar coming through, although I still couldn't detect the taste of onion.

I picked this up at Tesco's on promotion for about 79p but I think they retail at about £1 usually.

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

Kitchen Nomad Globe-Cooking Recipe #13 : Baba Ghanouj (Lebanon)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...