Friday 13 September 2013

Kitchen Nomad Globe-Cooking Recipe #11 : Spiced Meat Flatbread Pizza (Lebanon)


Last night, after a full day at work and a slightly manic Something Special party (more about that in a later blogpost !), I needed something quick and simple for dinner. Rather than heading for the freezer, I headed for my Kitchen Nomad goodies because I had a sneaky plan : Spiced Meat Flatbread Pizza. I'd noticed that the recipe (that you can find on the Kitchen Nomad website) had a "from scratch" option, making fresh pizza dough, or a cheat's option, using ready made flatbreads as a base. I had a pack of Warburton wraps that I decided would fit the bill perfectly.


I grabbed the two Lebanese ingredients from the Kitchen Nomad box - Baharat and Pomegranate Molasses - both of which sounded rather intriguing. The Pomegranate Molasses is described as a "sweet & sour fruit syrup" so I had a taste on a spoon and pulled exactly the same face as when the kids make me taste their ultra sour sweets ! It's not unpleasant, after you've rearranged your face, and I can't wait to experiment with it, but it's about fifty times stronger than lemon juice when it comes to sourness !

 The Baharat, is a blend of Freshly ground black pepper, Paprika, Ground cumin, Ground coriander, Ground cloves, Nutmeg, Ground cinnamon and Ground cardamom (Kitchen Nomad also mention  Lebanese All Spice which is a mix of Nutmeg, Ginger, Allspice, Fenugreek, Cloves, Cinnamon and Black pepper). It smells heavenly, gives a lovely exotic flavour to the simplest of dishes (here, mince and onions basically) and is another one that I'll be testing out in a variety of ways.


After finely chopping onions and tomatoes and adding them to the mince, my pizza topping was ready, apart from the addition of the pomegranate molasses and baharat. They made all the difference in the world !


I put a generous quantity of topping on the flatbread and popped them in the oven. They topping should be much more finely minced but I decided to leave it quite chunky.


Not very Lebanese but we decided to sprinkle the leftover feta that was lingering in the back of the fridge over the top too !

Totally divine and they literally took about ten minutes to throw together.



Disclosure : I received a Kitchen Nomad box in order to write an honest review.

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...