Sunday 1 September 2013

Kitchen Nomad Globe-Cooking Recipe #7 : Spiced Roast Vegetables with Tahini Drizzle (Lebanon)


After venturing into Greek and Vietnamese cuisine yesterday, this lunchtime took us to Lebanon. We tried out Lebanese Spiced Roast Vegetables with Tahini Drizzle, using the recipe from the Kitchen Nomad website.


This recipe called for two ingredients from the Kitchen Nomad box : Tahini and Sumac, a spice I was unfamiliar with. It has a deep red colour and a lovely citrus flavour, which I wasn't expecting.


I knew that tahini was a sesame paste but I'd never used it before. It's very runny and has a taste that's a bit similar to peanut butter.


The recipe for the dressing warned that the tahini would go thick before going runny. I was therefore only slightly perturbed when it seemed to curdle.


Then turn into a thick paste.


Eventually, it got the desired runny consistency. Following the recipe to the letter, I wasn't too keen on the taste - it seemed quite bitter - so, armed with new-found confidence after mixing weird and wonderful flavour combinations in my Vietnamese salad last night, I decided to add 1/2 teaspoon of sugar. This helped it out and I topped up the salt, then added oregano, for a nice light dressing, that was as good over the vegetables as it was on salad and as a dip with bread.


The roast veg - cauliflower, broccoli, red onion, aubergine, sweet pepper and courgette - tasted lovely with the addition of the sumac and went really well with our barbecue. Definitely one that we'll be trying again.



Disclosure : I received a Kitchen Nomad box in order to write an honest review.


Other blogposts you may be interested in :

Kitchen Nomad Globe-Cooking Recipe #3 : Mixed Fruits in Lemongrass Syrup (Vietnam)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...