Wednesday 4 September 2013

Kitchen Nomad Globe-Cooking Recipe #9 : Tart with Tomatoes, Olives & Capers (Greece)


Kitchen Nomad provided the inspiration for another fab meal tonight - a Greek-inspired puff-pastry tart with tomatoes, olives and capers. You can see the recipe on the Kitchen Nomad website. It's so so simple but tasted lovely.


It required three ingredients from the Kitchen Nomad Greece box - olive oil, pickled capers and black olives. I LOVE the tin - in fact it's been washed out and may well be kept as a decorative item. It would make a great pencil tin !



The contents were very impressive too. The olives are more purple than black and they are much softer and juicer than most black olives I've ever eaten. I usually prefer the green ones because I find the black ones too tough but that certainly wasn't the case here.


Using ready to roll puff pastry means that this dish is an absolute breeze to put together. In fact, 8-year-old Juliette did it single handedly. All I did was slice the tomatoes, open the tin of olives and put it in the oven.


You may remember, I bought a whole box full of cherry tomatoes along with this week's veg box, so I made our tart using cherry tomatoes, rather the large vine tomatoes that were recommended.


Juliette did a fab job of arranging them all in pretty lines.


And got very artistic with the olives and capers, following the model on the recipe card to the letter !


Twenty minutes later, it was ready to devour. The puff pastry did go a bit soggy due to the juice from the tomatoes, but this may be less of a problem with big tomatoes rather than cherry tomatoes. It still tasted lovely though.

The recipe card suggested serving this with a Greek salad which had me slightly perturbed, as I would usually put tomatoes and olives in the salad. I thought it would be overkill though so I made a simple lettuce, cucumber and feta salad which complemented it beautifully.

Disclosure : I received a Kitchen Nomad box in order to write an honest review. 


I'm joining in with the World Cup recipe challenge over on the Cooking Around The World blog

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...