Monday 14 December 2015

Madhouse recipe : Crunchy Choc Chip Cookies


A little while ago, I saw a recipe go through on Not Quite Nigella, one of the lovely foodie blogs that I follow, that sounded as fun as it looked delicious : Santa's favourite choc chip cookies. I scrolled through the list of ingredients and realised I had everything I needed and, even better, I could tweak it to use up some of the things cluttering up my kitchen cupboards (namely coconut water and what seems like a zillion half-eaten boxes of cereal). Do go and check the original recipe too though, as hers look even better than mine - I'll have to have another go with cornflakes !


Crunchy Choc Chip Cookies


ingredients :

1 & 3/4 cups plain  flour
1/2 cup brown sugar (I used coconut sugar)
1/2 cup caster sugar
1.5 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon salt (I left this out as I used salted butter)
113g (1 stick) butter, melted
1/2 cup oil
4 tablespoons milk (I used coconut water)
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
1 cup chocolate chips (I chopped up a bar of white chocolate)
1 cup cereal, roughly crushed


Preheat the oven to 180°. Mix together the dry ingredients in a bowl (flour, brown sugar, caster sugar, salt, bicarb).


Melt the butter and mix in the oil, coconut water (or milk), egg and vanilla essence.


Mix the wet ingredients into the dry and combine with a spatula. It will make a lovely gooey, quite oily dough. Add a little extra milk/coconut water if it doesn't come together.


Roughly crush the cereal - don't go too mad though or it won't add the desired crunch. I used Shreddies but you could use anything really.


Mix the crushed cereal and choc chips into the dough.


Dollop spoonfuls onto a baking sheet covered in foil.


Flatten slightly. 



They spread out quite a bit so make sure they're widely spaced.


Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes until they're cooked but still chewy in the middle.

The kids loved these and when I tasted one, I could see why - they're very moreish !


Adding to this month's #KitchenClearout linky because it helped use up some of my cereal and coconut water.

Link up your recipe of the week

3 comments:

  1. So glad that you guys like these and thanks for the shoutout too!! :D Isn't it great when a recipe can use up all the bits and pieces! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is - my cereal boxes seem to be multiplying !

      Delete
  2. We never have cereal, my son eats it all! Love this recipe

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...