Tuesday 15 December 2015

Madhouse recipe : No Bake Choc Mint Nibbles


One of the Christmas treats I remember making as a child was peppermint creams, so I was half-debating making some with the Madhouse kids when I came across a recipe for No Bake Choc Mint Sandwich Bars. I decided they would be more popular than just plain peppermint so we gave them a try. Here's how we got on. (Click through to see the original recipe because I tweaked it a bit.)

No Bake Choc Mint Nibbles


ingredients :

2 cups chopped chocolate
1 cup unsalted butter
2 cups crushed cereal (I used Shreddies)
2 tablespoons milk or coconut water
1 teaspoon peppermint essence
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
a few drops of green food coloring
2 cups sugar



Use a small rolling pin to crush the cereal.


Melt 1/3 cup of chocolate and 1/3 cup butter in the microwave and pour into the crushed cereal. With hindsight, I'd have doubled up the quantities of this layer because it was a bit skimpy.


Pour into a greased square tin. I used one with a removable bottom to make it easier to cut up.


Press down flat and chill in the fridge for at least 15 minutes.


Beat together 1/3 cup butter, 2tbsp coconut water, 1/2tsp peppermint essence and 1/2tsp vanilla essence.


Gradually beat in the sugar until smooth and creamy then add green food colouring, a drop at a time, until you get the colour you want.


Gently smooth over the chocolate/cereal base and return to the fridge.


Melt the remaining 1 and 2/3 cups of chocolate (I used chocolate with rice crispies in for extra crunch), 1/3 cup of butter and 1/2tsp peppermint essence in the microwave. Spread it over the green layer and put back in the fridge to set.


Chop into squares and devour ! At room temperature, they're quite soft so keep them in the fridge until you're ready to eat them.


This was another great way of using up my excess cereal and coconut water so I'm adding it to my #KitchenClearout linky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...