Friday 10 July 2015

Madhouse recipe : Herby Salmon with Panch Phoron Potatoes


This was a really simple dish that was brought alive by some carefully selected spices.


Take a nice piece of salmon and sprinkle with rock salt, garlic pepper and thyme. Put in the oven for about half an hour until cooked through.


Zap some potatoes in the microwave. (I had some precooked baked potatoes as I usually throw some potatoes in the bottom of the oven to bake alongside the Sunday roast - this saves energy and provides a quick and simple meal for the next day.) Chop them into large pieces and fry them in a mixture of butter and olive oil. Keep the heat fairly low so they can cook for a long time (about 20 minutes) without burning so that the edges go nice and crispy and they take on a beautiful golden colour.


Sprinkle with Panch Phoron, a Bengali spice blend that contains cumin seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, nigella seeds and fennel seeds. Mine came ready mixed from Spice Kitchen (see my review here) but you could blend your own. It has a subtle flavour and very slight warmth rather than a chilli kick so it didn't overpower the salmon.

Simple but very tasty.

Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com

5 comments:

  1. I love salmon but never know what to do with it! This sounds absolutely delicious and nice and easy to make.

    Kirsty Fox

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't beat herby salmon! Lovely recipe #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really tasty - I love panch phoron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh hit me with any other ideas for panch phoron - I have no idea what to do with it ! lol

      Delete
  4. I love Salmon it's my favourite fish and I really like the sound of Panch Phoron, I love a good blend of spices #TastyTuesdays

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...