Monday 6 July 2015

Globecooking recipe : Toucinho Do Céu (Portugal)


When the temperatures sky-rocketed last week, I knew it time to try out Toucinho Do Ceu, the dessert option from my Portuguese-themed Kitchen Trotter box a couple of months ago.


I had a packet of instant Toucinho Do Céu mix to use, along with the end of a jar of Orange Jam with Port from the same Kitchen Trotter box. 


The contents look a bit like cornflour or custard powder.


You mix it up with 500ml of water and a spoonful of cinnamon and bring it to the boil.


Simmer for a few minutes, whisking continually, until it thickens up.


Turn off the heat and add a couple of spoonfuls of orange jam with port (or marmalade would do, as would lemon curd). Leave to cool.


Put 8 tablespoons of sugar in a frying pan and heat on a moderate heat until it creates caramel.


I've only ever made caramel by adding a small amount of water or butter so i wasn't sure this would work.


But it did ! Just keep a close eye on it and turn off the heat as soon as it colours so that it doesn't burn.


Pour into individual ramekins. This sets solid - I will definitely use this pure sugar caramel for making toffee apples next time as it sets quickly and goes crunchy.


Top with the Toucinho Do Céu mixture and chill in the fridge for a few hours until it has set.


I was a bit disappointed that mine came out brown rather than vibrant yellow but that's down to the cinnamon. It did give it a lovely flavour though so I wasn't too sad !

We all really loved the flavour and it was the perfect dessert during a heatwave, very refreshing and reminiscent of French flan or egg custard.

I always like to look up the "from scratch" recipe after trying a packet mix and I have to say, the real Toucinho Do Céu looks nothing like the packet version. The real version is translated as Portuguese Almond Cake and it has a much "cakier" texture. The name apparently means "Bacon From Heaven" because it contains pork fat - hmmm not sure about that ! I've bookmarked a more authentic recipe for Toucinho Do Céu and will be giving it a go at some point so I'll report back to see how the two compare.

*** Don't miss my country-by-country globecooking recipe index ! ***

Fancy trying some more Portuguese cuisine? How about Bacalhau a brasOrange Tart and Squid Salad?


As this finished off my jar of Orange Jam, I'm adding it to this month's #KitchenClearout linkie. Fancy joining in? What's lurking in your larder? Have a rummage at the back of your kitchen cupboard, fridge, freezer or spice rack and show us what you've got !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...