Friday 7 March 2014

Madhouse recipe : Chocolate & Apple Crumble


I did a bit of a double take when I was flicking through my Food Glorious Food recipe book and I saw a recipe for Aunt Freda's Maunsel Pudding which is basically apple crumble with a chopped up Mars Bar in it. Well, I had to try it didn't I ?! I simplified it slightly - it didn't seem worth weighing and measuring the ingredients precisely - so here's my simplified version.

Chocolate & Apple Crumble


ingredients :

3 or 4 apples
2 Mars Bars
3tbsp muscovado sugar (I used Golden Syrup sugar)
1 tbsp margarine or butter, softened
1 cup flour


Peel, core and slice the apples. Put half in an ovenproof dish and sprinkle over 1tbsp sugar. Chop one of the Mars Bars into pieces and scatter over the apple. Repeat all three steps with the rest of the apple and the other Mars Bar.


Put some flour into a bowl (I didn't measure it, I just sprinkled some straight from the bag) and mix in 1tbsp margarine or butter to make breadcrumbs. Mix in the final spoonful of sugar.


Put in the oven at 180° for 15-20 minutes until the crumble is golden, the chocolate has melted and the apple is cooked through.


I think this would taste just the same with plain chocolate rather than Mars Bars, to be honest. The chocolate goes completely liquid and makes a sauce that covers all the apple slices. I think this would work realy well with pears too.

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

Madhouse recipe : Spanish Chicken Calzone

5 comments:

  1. I love that you've used mars bars & pears would be delicious too. I will definitely be trying this one out, thank you for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds lovely, definitely going to try this x yum x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was amazing. Could not recommend more highly. I made this for my son who has just turned 8 and finally getting to grips with multiplication haha! The cheeky little rascal had no idea what was coming when i made this crumble. Will be making it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww glad you enjoyed it ! I'd forgotten all about this recipe and can't remember what it tastes like, so I might have to make it again, just to remember ! lol

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...