Still not sure what to do for Pancake Day today? Well, how about trying this fabulous lighthouse made of pancakes, created by Clarks Maple Syrup ?!
Pancake Lighthouse Tower
Ingredients for pancakes
240g plain flour
a good pinch of salt
2 tbsp golden caster sugar
4 large eggs, separated
40g unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for frying
400ml full-fat milk
Additional Ingredients for pancake lighthouse
Clarks Pure Maple Syrup
8 -10 scoops of Vanilla ice cream
Assorted berries – blueberries, raspberries and strawberries recommended
Round pastry cutters, varying in size
A chop stick or similar to keep tower upright
Method to make pancakes
1. Sift the flour, salt and sugar into a bowl, then make a well in the centre.
2. Add the egg yolks, butter and milk and beat with a whisk until mixed. Gradually work in the flour to make a very thick but lump-free batter.
3. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff, then fold them into the batter with a large metal spoon. Heat a heavy-based frying pan until medium hot, then grease it lightly with butter.
4. Fry the mixture in batches of 3, using the pastry cutters which must be greased with a small amount of butter. Use a heaped tablespoon of batter for each pancake. Cook for about 1 minute until golden underneath, then turn over with a spatula and cook for another minute.
5. Continue to make pancakes until there is enough to stack most of the way up the skewer. Remember to leave room for the lemon halves – the ‘lights’ – and one additional pancake to form the ‘roof’. The pancakes will need to decrease in size in order to make a sturdy structure.
6. Cut both lemons in half.
7. Begin to assemble the pancakes, hold the chop stick/skewer upright and add the pancakes by sliding them down the length of the skewer. Use the bigger pancakes at the bottom and adding more in decreasing size order. Leave smallest pancake to one side.
8. Take 3 of the lemon halves and assemble them on top of the pancakes facing outward. Secure them to the pancake with toothpick.
9. Add final pancake on top.
10. Take last lemon half and put onto top pancake facing downwards.
11. Make ice cream balls and assemble around bottom of structure.
12. Add fruit and nuts.
13. Finally drizzle all over with Clarks Maple Syrup.
Recipe and image courtesy of Clarks Maple Syrup.
Other blogposts you may be interested in :