Tuesday 18 November 2014

Fudge in My Kitchen : Vanilla Rainbow Fudge


Yesterday I told you about the Kids In The Kitchen Fudge In My Kitchen kit that we'd been sent to try out at The Madhouse. I promised I'd show you the results of our efforts and here it is - our first batch of fudge, using the Vanilla Rainbow recipe. Impressed ? We were !


I was a bit non-plussed when I opened the bag of Vanilla Rainbow fudge mix. I don't know what I was expecting but it's basically sugar (with vanilla flavouring and salt added, if my memory serves me well).


The only thing you need to add yourself is a couple of spoonfuls of whipping cream. I didn't have any so I tried with marscapone and it worked fine. You just put the fudge mix, a sachet of liquid sugar (more sugar !) and the cream (or marscapone) in a saucepan and bring it slowly to the boil.


The kit includes a sugar thermometer, which is easy to use because it clips on the side of the saucepan. The only problem was, the clip covered up the part of the termperature range that I needed to see ! I also had a slight issue with condensation but it worked well enough.


After just a few minutes of heating and stirring, the instructions tell you to pour this molten mixture out on to the worktop or chopping board that you are using. They explain that, as long as you pour it very slowly, it won't go over the edges. I had my doubts but they were right ! They do warn you not to stop any drips with your fingers if it does go over the edges though because it is boiling hot and you'll burn yourself.


Once it's cooled slightly, you can use the spatulas to scrape up the edge and take it across to the middle, over and over again until it thickens and becomes paler.


Because I was following the detailed instructions for basic fudge from the main guide, I missed out the bit about adding three quarters of the chocolate beans at this stage. It didn't really matter though - we just stuck extras on top at the end ! After a bit of working, it starts thickening up and looking more like fudge.


You push it into a gooey baguette-shape and leave it to set slightly.


We waited slightly too long before pushing the chocolate beans on top so it was quite hard work. When it's still squidgy, it would have been much easier.


One dotty loaf of fudge waiting to be cut !


You should aim for 10-12 pieces but I found that it crumbled if I tried to cut small pieces so I went for big chunks instead.

I must be honest, I found it far too sweet, but Juliette loved it and demolished most of it before Madhouse Daddy even got home from work !

We still have two more varieties to try out so watch this space to see how we get on !

for more information : www.fudgekitchen.co.uk

Disclosure : We received a fudge-making kit in order to write an honest review. 

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

Kiddie Kitchen Fun : Cheerios Frankenstein's Monsters

Kiddie Kitchen Fun : Ice Cream For Breakfast !!

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to invite you to join our site www.erecipe.com . I really enjoy your blog and recipes and I think the over 8,000 unique daily visitors to eRecipe will too.
    By joining eRecipe, we will provide the Nutrition Facts for every recipe you post in which you could customize and add to your blog. Viewers need and love to know the nutritional facts. Its a free service that we offer to blogs and recipes we really love. It looks professional and your members will love it.
    Simply visit www.erecipe.com or contact me at erecipe00@gmail.com. We look forward having you in our network!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...