Wednesday 19 November 2014

Oregon Scientific Weather@Home weather station review


As the old song says, Baby, it's cold outside. Yes, but how cold ? Well, since receiving the incredibly clever Oregon Scientific Weather@Home weather station to review, I could tell you that and a whole lot more ! I love that fact that it's as funky as it is functional. I instantly knew this would appeal to Madhouse Daddy and I was right, but I have also discovered that Pierre is a budding weatherman too, He comes to tell me what the weather is like every single day by looking at the pictures and figures on display !


The sleek black and silver unit has pride of place on the shelf and I've noticed that everyone who walks in the door is automatically attracted to it, checking out the different data on show.


I usually favour the "look out of the window rather than listen to the weather report on the telly" school of thought, but even I have been impressed by the information on offer on the weather station. It displays both indoor and outdoor temperature and humidity, which is very handy. It also gives a 12-24 hour weather forecast and has a weather alert feature which shows you at a glance what to expect; heat, fog, frost, rain or wind /storm. It also tells you the moon phase and has an ice alert, which will be great this winter, to know when to protect the plants, cover the car windscreen or give yourself an extra ten minutes in the morning to get to work safely once the car has properly defrosted.

It also has Bluetooth connectivity, allowing you to monitor local weather conditions on your smart phone or tablet as well at the station itself. The clock function automatically syncs with your phone and automatically updates for British Summer Time when the clocks go back or forwards. (Very handy - I never change the timer on my oven because I can never manage so I wish all appliances would do this !)


It comes with a wireless sensor that you position outside somewhere, up to 30m away from the central unit. Madhouse Daddy has put ours on the patio wall. This sends all the information to the weather station indoors. A feature that we haven't used but that sounds like it could be useful is the option to add extra sensors, allowing you to monitor the temperature and humidity in other locations around the house via the Smartphone/tablet app. (I could see this being particularly useful in a baby's bedroom, for example.) The app also lets you view the last seven day history

It needs 4 x AA batteries and I was pleasantly surprised to see that they are included. If you're a bit of a gadget geek, you'll be constantly checking the weather station and the app to see what the highest and lowest temperatures logged have been and all the other nuggests of meteorological wisdom ! I'm not usually particularly interested in hi-tech "toys" but I love the fact that I can plan ahead to know if the kids will need their wellies and umbrellas for the walk to school in the morning and whether or not they'll need a thick jumper. Men are notoriously hard to buy for at Christmas so this could be just the thing, if you're looking for inspiration.

star rating : 5/5

RRP : £59.99


Disclosure : We received the product in order to write an honest review.

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

Giveaway #436 : Win a Carbon Monoxide Monitor - closing date 27/11

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...