Sunday 23 November 2014

Kents Kitchen Bengal Meal Kit review


One of the intriguing products in my latest Degustabox was the Bengal Meal Kit by Kents Kitchen. I had absolutely no idea what Bengal food would or should taste like but a quick look at the packaging revealed that this would be a coconut curry. The kit includes three little pots of infused oil, herbs and spices (and coconut) and curry paste.


I chopped up and fried a couple of chicken breasts along with an onion. (I always add onion to all of my savoury dishes, I think it makes everything taste better !) The "ingredients to add" list on the packaging included a tin of coconut milk but I decided to use another product from the Degustabox – some Carnation Cook With It! low-fat cooking cream – and threw in a handful of dessicated coconut to add the coconut flavour.


The instructions on the pack are a bit sparse – I wasn't sure if the coconut/spices mixture was supposed to be thrown in at the start of the cooking process or sprinkled over the finished dish. I cooked the chicken in the infused oil, stirred in both the remaining pots then added the cream and left  it to simmer for a few miniutes to thicken.

The paste is very fiery so if you're not keen on spicy food, I would suggest you only add half of the pot. I threw it all in and needed to add some extra cream to tame things down !


The resulting dish, served with naan bread and rice, was lovely and made a nice change to the usual curries we make.

The kits are on sale for £2.50 and are also available in many other varieties, including Brazilian feijoada, chow mein stir fry and numerous other curries.

for more information : www.kentskitchen.co.uk

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

Globecooking recipe : Goulash and Spätzle (Austria)

1 comment:

  1. Pam Francis Gregory23 November 2014 at 15:52

    Looks great - The hotter the better for me!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...