Wednesday 26 November 2014

Globecooking recipe : White Cabbage Salad with Liptauer (Austria)


When I saw this recipe in my Austrian-themed Kitchen Trotter box, I went to investigate and discovered that Liptauer is a spicy cheese spread, usually made with sheep or goat's milk cheese or cottage cheese. This version used fromage blanc which was handy as I had some in the fridge. It was nice but I think the Liptauer could have done with some extra herbs and spices as it was a bit bland. I dolloped mine on top of the salad but traditionally, it is spread on bread.



White Cabbage Salad with Liptauer


Ingredients 

Salad

1/2 white cabbage
2 green apples
a pinch of salt
2tbsp sugar
2tbsp white wine vinegar
a drizzle of pumpkin seed oil

Liptauer

200g fromage blanc (or cottage cheese or Greek yogurt)
80g butter
1 onion
3tbsp capers 
1 big gherkin
salt, pepper, paprika


First, prepare the salad by shredding the white cabbage and chopping the apples. Add the salt, sugar and vinegar and stir to combine. 

For the Liptauer, mix the fromage blanc and melted butter then chill in the fridge.


Finely chop the gherkin and onion and add to the bowl. Mix in salt, pepper, paprika and capers to taste. I'd add extras like garlic pepper, caraway seeds and Cayenne pepper too, to give it a boost.


Drizzle the salad with pumpkin seed oil just before serving. (I'm not sure this added much to the overall dish but it was the only product required from the Kitchen Trotter box so they had to put it in there somewhere !)


Traditionally the Liptauer should be spread on rye bread and served with the salad.


But I dolloped mine on top of the salad !

It's a great lower fat alternative to coleslaw and even without the Liptauer, the white cabbage and apple salad is lovely. Definitely one that I'll be using again to accompany BBQs in the summer.

*** Don't miss my country-by-country globecooking recipe index ! ***

Romanian Mum Blog

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

Globe-cooking recipe : Kaiserschmarrn (Austria)

5 comments:

  1. Haven't heard of Liptauer. And now I really fancy some lovely cabbage salad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks interesting & different, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice!yum! really need to try. thank you so much for linking up with #foodiefriday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh this is new to me - How unusual. Not a fan of coleslaw so this would make a welcome change. Thanks for linking up to #FoodieFriday x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of this before but it looks and sounds really good - I love white cabbage and creamy salads

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...