Saturday 15 November 2014

Madhouse recipe : Moroccan Mackerel Medley


I love the way the Princes blogger challenge is making me look at canned fish differently, as a proper ingredient rather than something to mix with mayonnaise and slap in a sandwich or on top of a baked potato. I decided to do something with mackerel this time and went to grab a can from the cupboard.



I was surprised to discover that there were a trio of different mackerel varieties in the hamper - Peppered Wood Smoked Fillets in Sunflower Oil, Mackerel Fillets in a Rich Tomato Sauce and Moroccan with a Moroccan-style sauce with apricot puree. I must admit, the final one made me raise my eyebrows in surprise - apricots and mackerel together ? really ?! - but it was the one I decided to try out because I thought it would work best with the flavours I was using.

 Moroccan Mackerel Medley


ingredients :

4 large potatoes, baked (zap them in the microwave if you don't have any ready-baked)
1/2 chorizo
1 large onion
1/2 red pepper
2 cans of Moroccan-style Mackerel


Heat the chorizo in a pan until it start releasing its oil. Toss in the onions and red peppers and add a little olive oil if needed. Cook for 5 minutes. 


Chop the baked potatoes into chunks and add them to the pan, adding an extra drizzle of olive oil if needed, to prevent it all from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Cook for 10 minutes until the potatoes are golden brown and totally warmed through.


Serve the potatoes, topped with chorizo, onions and red peppers. Spoon the Moroccan mackerel and any remaining sauce from the tin on top and serve immediately.

The sweetness of the apricots and the subtle Moroccan spices actually work very well with the mackerel, giving it an almost Oriental sweet and sour flavour combination.

Disclosure : Princes sent me a hamper of ingredients in order to take part in the blogger challenge.

If you think you can do better, make sure you head over to share your fish dish on the www.winwithprinces.co.uk/tuna/ website !

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...