Thursday 13 November 2014

Preparing for a Culinary Viennese Waltz !


This month's Kitchen Trotter box has landed and the destination is Austria, a country I visited in my childhood. Kitchen Trotter have started giving clues to the country in advance so I had worked out that Austria was on the way, so I was expecting WienerScnitzel, Apple Strudel and maybe Sachertorte. Well, I was partly right. It's a bit heavy on the desserts this month but I'm sure there will be no complaints from the Madhouse diners !


The first thing I pulled out of the box was this kit for Kaiserschmarren or Emperor's Pancakes. It seems to contain flour, brown sugar and sultanas.


Next was a pack of Spätzle, egg pasta.


This month's extras were some chocolates, a magnet and a little Bundt mould.


There is a sachet of Goulash spice (oregano, caraway, thyme and chilli).


And finally two mini bottles, one of pumpkin seed oil and one of Bottle Green Elderflower Cordial (which I love but I was surprised to see it pop up in an Austrian-themed box !)


This month's recipes start with White Cabbage and Liptauer Salad. (Liptauer is a spicy cheese spread - not sure how easy it is to get hold of but I could always use Applewood smoked cheese spread instead.)


Having seen the ingredients, no prizes for guessing that the main meal is Goulash with Spätzle !


Kaiserschmarren with Apple Strudel should go down well for dessert.


And finally Kougloff with Viennese Coffee.

As always, I'll tell you how I got on, once I've tried out the recipes.

*** Don't miss my country-by-country globecooking recipe index ! ***

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

Globe-cooking recipe : Bigos (Poland)

1 comment:

  1. What a clever idea. I have not come across this before. I really want an apfel strudel now! It sounds particularly appealing after watching the German market in Birmingham on the news.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...