Sunday, 22 February 2015

Globe-cooking recipe : Golabki (Poland)


Having spent a week in Gdynia on a work trip last year, I couldn't resist putting a jar of Golabki in my trolley when I spotted it in Tesco's. It's imported from Poland so I was hoping it would be quite authentic.


Despite the large jar, there are actually only three Golabki - rice and pork stuffed cabbage parcels - in the jar.


The instructions say to heat them on the hob but I poured the contents of the jar into a dish and put them in the oven to warm up. The sauce is actually quite sweet - it reminded me of the sauce from tinned meatballs (as I remember from my student days, but I haven't actually eaten them for years so I could be wrong !).


I definitely need to make these myself and see how they taste homemade so I've had a quick search online. I love the look of this recipe on Zagleft because it looks truly authentic and traditional (it's based on a Polish grandmother's recipe so it's the real deal) but I also love this slow cooker version. I'll come back and show you how I get on once I've had a go.

*** Don't miss my country-by-country globecooking recipe index ! *** 

If you want some more Polish dishes, how about giving Bigos a go ?

4 comments:

  1. They look nice, I would never have realised that the parcels are actually in the jar. I will look out for these when I next go to tesco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit, I had no idea what they were when I plucked them off the shelf ! They're edible but would be much nicer homemade so I'll definitely be having a play

      Delete
  2. the look interesting, they often do polish foods in Lidl as a limited time thing, we have tried a few bits from the range

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there,
    Great foods!! Thank you so much for sharing these, we are truly inspired!!! We would like to add your blog to the Top Food Blog list in www.mytaste.com/ with over 7 million users worldwide... Your blog is impressively BEAUTIFUL and deserves to be included on the Top list!!

    We will feature your blog and create shout outs about your recipes to our fan pages.
    MyTaste is a social platform for foodies and blogs/sites owners like you and it helps to reach more people, get more visibility from the web and share/save foods and recipes. Some of them receive at least 10,000 visits from us on a weekly basis.

    If you’d like to be featured, expand your readership and JOIN TOP FOOD BLOGS, here's the link where you can add your blog to the list>> http://www.mytaste.com/top-food-blogs (Joining won't cost you any cents)
    Kind regards
    -Ricky

    ReplyDelete