Sunday 8 February 2015

Sunday weigh-in : So what's the deal with Dukan 2?!


Losing weight isn't complicated (in theory!) - you just need to eat less (or less of the bad stuff anyway) and move more - so I've always thought faddy diets were totally ridiculous, ineffective and sometimes downright dangerous. When I was asked if I'd like to trial the Dukan 2 diet, my instant reaction was to run screaming from the room ! All I knew about the Dukan diet was that you had to eat nothing but protein (in unlimited quantities) with no fruit or vegetables allowed at all during the first phase that could last for several days. For the last few years, emphasis has been on eating 5-a-day at the very least so going to zero-a-day seems totally nonsensical and unhealthy.

I was intrigued by the "2" though, and also the PR lady's comment that I wouldn't need to change my eating habits much - that didn't fit in at all with what I knew about the Dukan diet, so I went to have a look at the website, still unconvinced. It turns out that the whole Dukan diet has been rehauled with a new "nutritional staircase" method, with a new food group being introduced each day of the week. The emphasis is still on protein - apparently by eating pure protein, your body has to get its energy from your stock of fat - but only Monday is a pure protein day, with vegetables, then fruit, bread, cheese, carbs, etc being reintroduced on a daily basis throughout each week. With the old Dukan diet, you could aim to lose 4-6kg in the first week. With Dukan 2, you should only expect to lose 0.5-1kg per week, which to me sounds much more reasonable.

Without having decided whether or not to give it a go, I put together a Dukan-friendly menu plan for the week, to see how easy it would be, and it actually looks pretty similar to a normal week, so I've decided to give it a go, at least for a week or two, then reassess.

The bad news is, I've eaten my way through all the things I won't be able to eat in the coming days to get them out of my system before cracking down ! Inevitably, this week was a gain - 86.8kg today - only 300g which means I got away lightly !

Positives of the week

- I've started listening to the SlimPod again - I'd slipped out of the habit which is silly because it really works.

- Even my "pigging out" is quite reasonable these days - I did have a burger and chips at McDonald's but I caught up in the evening with a bowl of soup - I had some Skittles but split a bag four ways with the kids ...

Current targets 

Last week's target : Hit my second target - my pre-xmas weight of 85.9kg. Get back to two work out DVD/Wii Fit sessions. (That second target is so elusive - fingers crossed for next week !)

This week's targets : Juliette's birthday week and a few meals out with the Polish visitors so I'm hoping for a no change !

Short-term targets 21kg to lose sounds a lot but breaking it down, aiming for 1kg a week, that's only about 5 months - plenty of time for heading off to Turkey in August !

first target, get my "weight to lose" badge down into the 40's (it's currently on 51lb) (done),
 second goal - get back to 85.9kg, my pre-xmas weight
third goal : get my "kg lost" badge back into double figures 
fourth goal : get my "weight loss" badge higher than my "still to go" badge
fifth goal : get back into my (smallest) bright blue jeans comfortably
sixth goal : get back to 77kg - my lowest weight since my pregnancies

Longer-term targets :  Hit my target weight of 68kg. 

START WEIGHT :93.7kg
TARGET WEIGHT : 67.8kg
WEIGHT LAST WEEK  : 86.5kg 
WEIGHT TODAY : 86.8kg
WEIGHT LOST SO FAR :  7.0kg
STILL TO GO : 18.7kg
CHANGE THIS WEEK : +0.3kg

Feel free to add your weightloss posts to my weekly linkie - it's great to see how everyone else has been getting on and give each other support and encouragement. You can even grab the linkie code and add it to your own blog if you like. :)








Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

 MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods



15 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on with the Dukan diet.
    Ant keeps telling me to start listening to the slimpod again. I keep forgetting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to listen to it on the bus to work in the morning on my mp3 player - just need to get organised again !

      Delete
  2. I haven't really looked into Dukan diet. With 5:2 I did lose a bit of weight last year, but the meds I have been taking, made me regain what I lost. I might start again soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really go in for diets, I just usually max out on fruit & veg (lots of soup and salads) so I'm not sure this will be my thing, but I'm intrigued enough to give it a go !

      Delete
  3. I'm really questioning their scientific reasoning, I'd be a little wary (which I know you are too), too much protein can be unhealthy in the long term, hopefully they aren't recommending more than 100g protein a day. I barely consume any protein have managed a 50lbs+ loss. Much prefer to just weigh my portions, eat a little less and exercise, even though it can be painfully slow.

    But I'm not knocking it, I know you're sensible and sometimes things just have to be tried. Good luck for next week!

    Sharon xx
    Beauty, Miscellany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are pages and pages to read so I've only skimmed through but it's unlimited protein and 100 allowed foods (only lean meat though, you can't eat platefuls of bacon and eggs all day long !) but your body will stop you eating too much apparently. I'm more intrigued than anything so time will tell !

      Delete
  4. I'll be intrigued to see how this goes! I'm another for just cutting down and don't fancy faddy diets, also my body doesn't stop me eating too much ever haha it sees it as a challenge
    AliceMegan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I think it's your tastebuds that say stop after too much protein ? - can't remember ! Anyway, I'm a few days in and it's not that much different to what I was eating before, to be honest - verdict on Sunday !

      Delete
  5. Definitely curious about the diet - good luck with it and definitely keep us posted! Sim x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. will do - keeping notes throughout the week for the Sunday weigh-in post :)

      Delete
  6. Ive not heard of the Dukan 2 diet before, but sounds interesting. But im with you on the slimpod.... im 3 weeks in now, and can feel the differences inside my head already, its amazing how it works!! #weightlosswednesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh thanks for the reminder, I'll put it on now :)

      Delete
  7. Stick in there! Sounds like you're being positive and as with all the comments, interested to hear more about the new diet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard anything about the dukan before I don't think it will be interesting following your journey. It's good you managed to control the binge rather than totally letting go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interested to see how the Dukan 2 works out for you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...