Friday 27 February 2015

Globecooking recipe : Apple Strudel (Austria)


I actually made up a very simple recipe for Apple Strudel when I took part in the World Cup Foodie Challenge last year, but when I saw a genuine recipe in my Austrian-themed Kitchen Trotter box, I decided to give it a go and compare. It was very similar to my own creation but I thought I'd share it with you all the same.

Apple Strudel


ingredients :

1kg apples (about 5), peeled, cored and chopped into small chunks
1 pack filo pastry
olive oil or melted butter
90g sugar
50g raisins
1tbsp cinnamon
2tbsp dried breadcrumbs
50g butter
icing sugar to serve


Melt the butter and stir in the breadcrumbs.


Separate the sheets of filo pastry and pile them up on top of each other, wiping each with a piece of kitchen roll soaked in olive oil or melted butter. I used some mandarin-infused olive oil that I had, to give it a lovely zesty topnote.


Add the apple and raisins to the breadcrumbs, sprinkle over the sugar and cinnamon and toss to mix.


Pour the apple mixture onto the filo pastry.


Fold over both sides and flip the whole thing over on the baking sheet.


Put in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 180° until the filo has gone crispy and the apple is soft. Sprinkle with icing sugar.


Cut into slices and serve warm or cold, with ice cream or whipped cream if you're feeling extra naughty !

*** Don't miss my country-by-country globecooking recipe index ! ***

2 comments:

  1. Margaret Clarkson
    Lovely recipe, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...