Sunday 15 February 2015

Sunday weigh-in : Dukan 2 sneak peek


After saying I'd give it a go, I realised I wouldn't be able to follow the Dukan 2 diet properly this week because the Polish delegation are visiting which means non-stop eating and drinking ! I had two  huge meals in restaurants with a fixed and most certainly non-diet-friendly set menu (plus wine and champagne) and a boozy evening of party nibbles over two days, but I was keen to have a sneak peek at what the Dukan 2 diet entails. Last week, I weighed in at 86.8kg and today I've just weighed in at 87.5kg - I think it probably could have been worse if I hadn't lost a bit at the start of the week !

 I bet you're all wondering what you can actually eat on Dukan 2, so here's my rundown for the week. The Nutritional Staircase programme (unlike the traditional Dukan diet) works on a weekly programme that has to start on Monday so last Saturday, I went a bit wild and ate all the things I knew would be off limits - nothing REALLY bad but I had a burger and chips at McDonald's rather than my usual salmon salad and I shared a bag of Skittles (only a little one !) with the kids. Sunday was always going to be catastrophic because we had people over for Juliette's birthday, obviously involving alcohol, nibbles, a big meal and cake. Really not the best week to start a diet !

Monday - Protein only day which still seems weird and nutritionally wrong. It was impossible to eat at the school canteen so I took in a pack of turkey ham and crab sticks to nibble on - not very inspiring ! I couldn't face sitting down to a meal of just fish and meat in the evening, so I used up some Dukan konjac noodles that I'd received to review ages ago. I made spaghetti carbonara for the family, so I tried to replicate it Dukan style - I cooked an onion (because they don't seem to count as veg, unless I've got that wrong!) then added some chopped ham and a bit of low fat crème fraîche. The noodles don't soak up the sauce so it was all a bit messy but at least it looked like "normal" food and tasted reasonable.


Tuesday - Protein + unlimited veg. After checking the menu, I went to the school canteen and asked for the chicken with just veg, no spaghetti. Starter was a choice of mini pizza or cheese puff - both non Dukan options - so I went for the pizza as it was only a very small slice. Fruit is not allowed until tomorrow so I had a low-fat cheese triangle and yogurt for dessert. In the evening, after parent-teacher evening, I couldn't face cooking so I had a big salad with a tin of mackerel, which was very nice actually.


Wednesday - Protein + veg + 2 fruit allowed - I planned on having a beefburger with a bag of frozen mixed veg for an easy lunch option but was gutted to see there wasn't any in the freezer, so I finished off my salad from last night with the burger instead. 0% yogurt for dessert. Popped to the shop to stock up on loads of frozen veg ! Lemongrass chicken with stir-fry veg for tea. Very nice and very filling. Finished off with fruit - yeah !

Thursday - Protein + veg + fruit + wholemeal bread allowed - I've noticed that I'm feeling full of energy - could this be the result of effectively detoxing, totally cutting down on carbs, sugar and fat? Not sure but I'm pleased to see I'm not tired and sluggish through lack of carbs as it's a busy week ! Lunch at the canteen looked like a Dukan-friendly option with meat and veg available, so I went along and was gutted to see they'd changed the menu. I had vegetables for a starter and fruit for dessert but the main course was chicken nuggets and rice - no way to make that Dukan friendly ! After parent-teacher evening, I had a bowl of homemade vegetable soup, followed by yogurt and fruit.

At this point, I had a weigh-in and I was at 86.3kg, so I'd lost 500g. Food wise, apart from the Monday, you can eat basically normally so it doesn't interrupt family life and I didn't feel hungry, apart from on the Monday. From this point on, Dukan was thrown out of the window though !

Friday - Protein + veg + fruit + wholemeal bread + cheese allowed - Lunch with the Polish delegation - smoked salmon starter, steak and chips with creamy pepper sauce, apple pie for dessert plus champagne and wine. Evening meal in another restaurant which was a HUGE baked potato smothered in mozzarella, tomato sauce, olives, onions, ham, ... followed by ice cream, plus wine and champagne again. Also, I was chauffeured around for the day so there was hardly any of my usual walking involved.

Saturday - carbs day - I'd basically given up by this point, knowing the week was a write-off, so I had burger and chips at McDonalds. In the evening, we showed the Polish group what Dunkirk carnival was all about so it was an evening of drinks and party food.

I'll call this week the dress rehearsal for Dukan. It's actually easier and healthier than I expected so I'll give it a proper go this week (even if there's a farewell meal on Tuesday for the Polish group).

Positives of the week

- Sometimes life gets in the way of your best intentions - a 700g gain for this week of mammoth eating is actually a lucky escape !

Current targets 

Last week's target : Juliette's birthday week and a few meals out with the Polish visitors so I'm hoping for a no change ! (yeah right !!)

This week's targets : Follow Dukan 2 for the week. 

Short-term targets 21kg to lose sounds a lot but breaking it down, aiming for 1kg a week, that's only about 5 months - plenty of time for heading off to Turkey in August !

first target, get my "weight to lose" badge down into the 40's (it's currently on 51lb) (done),
 second goal - get back to 85.9kg, my pre-xmas weight
third goal : get my "kg lost" badge back into double figures 
fourth goal : get my "weight loss" badge higher than my "still to go" badge
fifth goal : get back into my (smallest) bright blue jeans comfortably
sixth goal : get back to 77kg - my lowest weight since my pregnancies

Longer-term targets :  Hit my target weight of 68kg. 

START WEIGHT :93.7kg
TARGET WEIGHT : 67.8kg
WEIGHT LAST WEEK  : 86.5kg 
WEIGHT TODAY : 87.5kg
WEIGHT LOST SO FAR :  6.3kg
STILL TO GO : 19.4kg
CHANGE THIS WEEK : +0.7kg

Feel free to add your weightloss posts to my weekly linkie - it's great to see how everyone else has been getting on and give each other support and encouragement. You can even grab the linkie code and add it to your own blog if you like. :)








Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

 MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods



19 comments:

  1. I do not know how anyone can stick to a diet,I would break it right away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do meal planning every week so it's just a case of working out what to eat on which days to fit in with the plan - apart from Mondays, there's not much difference to what I'd be eating anyway !

      Delete
  2. I've had a bad week too, we'll get there one day, I know we will. Good luck for next week xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to start getting into meal planning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you start, it's really simple and it definitely cuts down on food waste and impulse buys at the supermarket :)

      Delete
  4. Interesting diet, I don't think I'll be giving Dukan 2 a whirl though, it still seems a bit faddy to me. If it works for you though then that's great. I really need to work on portion sizes myself and doing more vigorous exercise too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't at all sure before I started but it's better than I thought - you actually end up eating huge amounts of vegetables every day except Monday !

      Delete
  5. It really doesn't sound like a terrible week, I swear things crop up at least one a month in my life, I know you can relate. Better to work them in rather than avoid! You will get there one day, you never get down or sound like you're about to give up so I'm positive you'll get to the healthy point you want to be (and hopefully I will too!). Good luck for this coming week!

    Sharon xx
    Beauty, Miscellany

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I'd be able to stick to Dukan 2 but I'm looking forward to seeing how you get with week 2 and the results you get from it :)
    I've had a really rubbish week. I let the 1/2lb gain I had last week really get in my head and I've rebelled all week. I've been scoffing biscuits and other rubbish with an 'I don't care anymore' attitude and it's done nothing but make me feel worse because I do actually care and I don't want to gain it all back!
    I'm back on track today but with only 2 days till weigh in I'm not expecting much. I weighed this morning (never usually weigh at home so don't know how my scales compare to SW ones) and I've gained 3lb if the scales are the same as SW so I'm having 2 fast days to see if I can undo some damage.
    I've tried 5:2 before and if it's only occasionally, I can cope with the 2 fast days. I can't do it every week though, I end up dreading the 2 fast days!
    I hope your week is going well :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't even worry about the short-term gain, it's just a blip, so don't sweat over it - just get back in the saddle and keep on track for next week. Overall, you've still done amazingly, don't ever lose sight of that xxx

      Delete
  7. I have seen the dukan diet and it sounds great. At the moment we are tying low carb high fat and protein as recommended by GP to be diabetic friendly but good for weight loss. The high fat bit is difficult for me because most of it is made up of dairy fats ( butter, full fat milk, cream, ) and I dont use them so I am sticking to my dry toast etc as normal.
    I have lost 5lb in 4 weeks, and am at my lowest weight in 21 years, my weight never norally fluctuates by more than a lb or 2 either way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, well done you - are you still walking/running too? That must be helping as well. The high fat/protein diets always sounds crazy to me but if it works, that's the main thing ... for the Dukan, I just have to find some interesting protein only dishes to stop me going insane on Mondays !

      Delete
  8. What an interesting diet, it seems a very strange mix of foods which would be hard to stick to. I will have to find a new diet and exercise regime soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I thought when I read the guide but actually, once you've started, it's dead easy apart from Monday because vegetables and meat are unlimited every other day, plus low fat dairy. Time will tell !

      Delete
  9. Meal planning is a great help and something i need to do more of. I have good weeks and bad weeks but the main thing is not letting the bad weeks get to us. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am commenting backwards - the 2nd week seems to have gone so well for you! Just like you, knowing I am going to be starting a diet, I will stock up on the food I like but know I will not be able to eat once on the diet. Meal planning does help and it's something I really should start doing!
    Thank you for joining up to #WeightLossWednesday and hope to see you later this week! Sim xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...